Cannot add attachments in Collector (attachments are already enabled!)

10-04-2018 09:36 AM
ChristineMunisteri1
New Contributor II

Hi all. I need to be able to add attachments to features using ArcCollector. I have already enabled attachments and they are showing up in the popups in ArcOnline, but when I go to make edits or view the map in Collector, there's no indication of that. Any ideas? I'm wondering if there is a limit to the number of feature classes with attachments...I've never had this problem before. (I'm using the latest version of ArcCollector for iOS.) Thanks!

8 Replies
JakeSimms1
Esri Contributor

Greetings Christine,

Is the map you are consuming published to ArcGIS Online from a ArcGIS Server as a feature service?

Jake

0 Kudos
ChristineMunisteri1
New Contributor II

Hi Jake.

Yes, it is published as a feature service.

0 Kudos
JakeSimms1
Esri Contributor

Christine,

I apologize if this is what your workflow is already looks like but I recreated a workflow with my own data to try to replicate the issue. This is what I found to be a successful workflow.

If you have published as a feature service as a hosted feature layer and in the hosted layer Overview page and enabled attachments, make sure to check your hosted feature Settings section “What kind of editing is allowed?” and enable at minimum “Add and update features”.

Create a WebMap, with or without features. My test data included three (3) points for bird sightings. One (1) of which already included an attachment from when I published as service in ArcMap 10.6.1 to AGOL.

After creating a WebMap I opened collector on an iOS platform. When in collector, I selected an existing feature then selected the feature description at the bottom of the viewing window to pull up the feature details. At the top of the details page I select the Options button (looks like an export button), this allows for edits to be made. Selected Edit, then selected attachments, then attached an item to the feature. Below is the screen shot workflow.

Once the feature has an attachment it should look like the below image.

Let me know if this helps. 

0 Kudos
ChristineMunisteri1
New Contributor II

Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier, but the service is coming from an sde. I saw something that led me to believe that that may be the issue, but I'm not positive. Do you know? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChristineMunisteri1
New Contributor II

After another look, I was able to attach images to one of my feature classes, but I still cannot attach to (or edit) many of the others. It keeps telling me there was an internal error. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the feature I was able to edit is the only one in that service, but the ones that I cannot add attachments to or edit are part of services with many feature datasets that contain many feature classes. I have created a new service and web map...still no luck.

0 Kudos
JakeSimms1
Esri Contributor

Christine,

A  few things.

Editing features from an SDE database shouldn't affect the attachment process, as long as you have enabled attachments, enabled feature access with correct permissions and registered the database.

If you could post a screenshot of the error I can help trouble shoot.

Lets back track a bit. Are you creating this service from ArcMap?

0 Kudos
ChristineMunisteri1
New Contributor II

Hey Jake,

We got it figured out. Turns out versioning hadn't been enabled. Thanks for your help!

JakeSimms1
Esri Contributor

Christine,

Very glad you were able to solve the issue!

0 Kudos