Average Nearest Neighbor

10-03-2018 11:22 AM
HillaSang1
New Contributor

I have a question regarding the Average Nearest Neighbor analysis. Is there a scale that describes the levels of the Nearest Neighbor ratio? Are there benchmarks in the literature associated with various Average Nearest Neighbor ratio/scores?

For example, can a certain ratio be described as "tightly clustered" versus a different level ratio that is "moderately clustered"?

Another example of what I'm looking for: in Pearson Correlation statistics, one can indicate levels of correlation based on the coefficient's value. These levels are generally agreed upon in the literature, meaning that it's generally OK to say that variables have "high degree" of correlation (or "strong correlation") if the coefficient lies between ± 0.50 and ± 1, while a coefficient below 0.29 is considered "small correlation" or "low degree" of correlation. So I'm looking for these levels, and their descriptions, for Average Nearest Neighbor ratio/index.

I reviewed the books recommended in the tool reference page but there was no indication of generally-accepted levels. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are papers eg

ScienceDirect 

You can generate your own point distributions drawn from statistical distributions (ie bivariate normal, uniform etc)

Aren't the statistics enough from those provided by the tool to assist you?