Mobile Map Packages Not Zooming Out to Full Extent

Jump to solution
09-28-2018 04:44 PM
DoriBroglino
New Contributor III

I am creating Mobile Map Packages in Arc GIS Pro using a vector tile package as the background and several operational layers.  The MMPKs were working perfectly and then I made some adjustments to some scale dependencies on some of the layers and the labels for some of the layers.  Somehow I must have adjusted a setting somewhere because now when I download the MMPKs onto my IPhone it does not let me zoom out to the full extent of the map.  It stops it at about 1:40,000, when I used to be able to go out to the full extent (approximately 1:700,000) of the vector tile package.  I can still scroll across the full extent of the map and all of my data is there but I need to zoom out for more efficient navigation to locations.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Don,

There is an issue where ability to zoom will be affected by Visibility Scales for layers in your map.  The best way to avoid this is to make use of a Basemap, and put your Vector Tile Package layers visible at all scales in the basemap.  Then just use the basemap with your map.  

On ArcGIS Pro Insert Tab, add New BaseMap

Add Data   and add your vector tile package to the basemap.

Activate your Map (Click Map Tab)

Then Click the Basemap gallery and Choose your Basemap from the Project.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Don,

There is an issue where ability to zoom will be affected by Visibility Scales for layers in your map.  The best way to avoid this is to make use of a Basemap, and put your Vector Tile Package layers visible at all scales in the basemap.  Then just use the basemap with your map.  

On ArcGIS Pro Insert Tab, add New BaseMap

Add Data   and add your vector tile package to the basemap.

Activate your Map (Click Map Tab)

Then Click the Basemap gallery and Choose your Basemap from the Project.

Mark

0 Kudos
DoriBroglino
New Contributor III

THANK YOU MARK!  This worked.

0 Kudos
DoriBroglino
New Contributor III

@Mark Bockenhauer   One question that I still have though... I had made a MMPK by just adding my vector tile package as another layer of data and not adding it as a Base Map.  One of the MMPKs that I made did not have the scaling problem.  I was able to zoom all the way out with no problem.  One of the advantages of this map was that my vector tile package which includes my roads layer is visible through my other operational layers which include several large polygons that cover up the roads when it is in Base Map format.

Is there a setting some where that allows you to set the visible scale of your MMPK? I'm pretty certain when I was having the problem I had nothing set in the Visibility Range in the Appearance tab for the map I was using to make the MMPK.  I'm thinking I must have done something inadvertently to cause the scaling problem.

Thanks again for your help.   

0 Kudos
DoriBroglino
New Contributor III

We were able to get this to work by including a layer at the bottom of the TOC that encompassed the entire area that we wanted to zoom out to. This layer was not really needed in the mobile map so we just turned it off.  It does appear that the visible extent of the map on a mobile device is set by the visible extent of the bottom layer in the operational map.  Thus, adding a Base Map will have the same effect but in our situation we wanted the layers (Roads and stream systems, notably) in the vector tile package to display on top of some of our operational layers, so the Base Map approach was not effective in this case.  We ended up adding the vector tile package as the top layer.  

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

You could have put the "phantom extent layer" in as a basemap as well.  I prefer the use of a basemap for all maps, as a good practice, but it is not absolutely necessary. 

0 Kudos