If my submitter options are fine, why cant the public access and submit to my survey?

Jump to solution
09-25-2018 10:48 AM
nicoletrenholm
New Contributor II

Can anyone find Fish Finder Log survey in Survey123 phone app who is a public user? If so can you download it and submit a test entry?

So far, ESRI techs dont understand my problem. Basically, I just want my survey to work with public volunteers. They would be willing to download the app and get a free public  ESRI username and password if necessary.

The only person who was able to successfully upload an entry was a test organization member. I am the survey creator and admin so can not test my own app as a volunteer public user.

Im a student and cant pay $100 bucks for every volunteer to be a organization member to submit data to my Survey123 app.

When my sister tried to upload it to her phone from her iphone App store, it prompted a username and password, she added her public username info and then it denied her access as a public user.

ESRI tech support said to email this link  https://arcg.is/uHD0v to a public tester and that it should prompt the download of the App and my survey, giving them access to submitting and entry to my app on their phone. I dont know if this works and so they more or less left it up to me to figure out how to get the public to be able to access and submit to the Survey123 survey. They directed me to use this forum to try and resolve my problem hopefully from your experiences. I would love to see this app work! Did anyone get through this hurdle?

These are my settings and my sister's access denial. Thank you for any insight you can share! I really do not want to give up on this Survey123 App platform it could really revolutionize citizen science research.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I was able to Find and use your Survey.

I have Survey123 on IOS.  I am not signed in at all.   I e-mailed the survey123 applink to myself.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=525dc6ecfcb341ee8237b75b998b9d66

Tapped on the link in mail, and it Downloaded and Opened the Survey in Survey123.

Is your sister trying to use a Public Esri user account with Survey123?  I think that is the error that is showing.  Use the Applink without signing in at all.

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I was able to Find and use your Survey.

I have Survey123 on IOS.  I am not signed in at all.   I e-mailed the survey123 applink to myself.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=525dc6ecfcb341ee8237b75b998b9d66

Tapped on the link in mail, and it Downloaded and Opened the Survey in Survey123.

Is your sister trying to use a Public Esri user account with Survey123?  I think that is the error that is showing.  Use the Applink without signing in at all.

Mark

nicoletrenholm
New Contributor II
Interesting. So do the volunteers only need to use the applink the first time in order to upload the survey app? You make it seem like you are bypassing using the app itself on your phone. Ya see, my volunteers are not always in internet connection and the beauty of the Survey123 app is you can save entries till you are in wifi range to submit. 
So, if they are on a sailboat in a lovely cove away from internet range, can they open the app and make an entry to save to send for later or will they need to be connected to the internet and click the link I provide them from their email to then prompt the survey123 app to open?
Is the app not a real phone app at all and actually a survey form link you are connecting to every time?
Or can you open the link in a browser even offline and it queues the phone app to open?
I am sorry if this is not clear to me and really appreciate your insight Mark and all!
Cheers,
Nicole
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Initially your user need to have an internet connection to get the Survey123 app and survey onto their phone.  Once they have have it, the survey will be available for them to use, every time they open the app.  They can fill out the survey multiple times, and the information is stored on the phone.  When they have an internet connection they can upload all of the survey information at one time.   Even when connected to the internet survey takers have the option of uploading when they want to.

So in summary;

Get the Survey123 app on your phone

Get the Survey

Complete the survey on or offline.

Upload the Survey information whenever you want or are able.

Mark

nicoletrenholm
New Contributor II

Your absolutely right. My sister also tested it and it worked! Thank you so

much for you help!