AnsweredAssumed Answered

Should I get a new computer that will work with ArcGIS Pro?

Question asked by Jeanette.Bachand on Sep 24, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 by rleclair-esristaff

Hello folks! I need to buy a new computer soon and am trying to determine how much to factor in the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro. I honestly don't like Pro because I find it to be buggy with a steep learning curve and it doesn't seem to be fully developed, but my employer utilizes Location Referencing in UPDM which is only available in Pro. When looking at new computers the other week I had to hold off because the difference in price for a new computer that I could use ArcMap/ArcCatalog versus one that meets the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro were drastically different. I guess my question is if Pro really is the way ESRI is going and if Desktop will be phased out completely necessitating the need for a computer that's twice the price just to use a program I don't like but may become the industry standard? I could easily just remote in to my computer at work too when I need to use Pro when I work from home. I know computers just enough to know how to do my job which is changing with the times and evolving into something I'm struggling with. Any suggestions or insight regarding Pro will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Outcomes