Should I get a new computer that will work with ArcGIS Pro?

09-24-2018 11:39 AM
deleted-user-FrOR7qrGn6Op
New Contributor III

Hello folks! I need to buy a new computer soon and am trying to determine how much to factor in the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro. I honestly don't like Pro because I find it to be buggy with a steep learning curve and it doesn't seem to be fully developed, but my employer utilizes Location Referencing in UPDM which is only available in Pro. When looking at new computers the other week I had to hold off because the difference in price for a new computer that I could use ArcMap/ArcCatalog versus one that meets the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro were drastically different. I guess my question is if Pro really is the way ESRI is going and if Desktop will be phased out completely necessitating the need for a computer that's twice the price just to use a program I don't like but may become the industry standard? I could easily just remote in to my computer at work too when I need to use Pro when I work from home. I know computers just enough to know how to do my job which is changing with the times and evolving into something I'm struggling with. Any suggestions or insight regarding Pro will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm sure you've seen the ArcGIS Pro System Requirements page - that will assist you in determining what components to get in your new PC.  There's also the "Can you Run ArcGIS Pro" link on the System Requirements page to test existing PC's for their ability to run AGP too.

With regard to ArcMap retirement - yes, there will be a future time when ArcMap is no longer part of the ArcGIS Desktop suite of software much like retirement of ArcView*GIS and ArcInfo Workstation in the past.  As Jack Dangermond mentioned at the User Conference, AGP is the replacement for ArcMap.  We do have a 5-year deprecation schedule for software.  So assuming there's an ArcMap 10.7, then add 5 years after it's release date for full support.  Same for if there's an ArcMap 11.  Regardless, ArcMap will be with us well into the 2020's.  

New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply, Robert! With the life cycle of computers these days, it's nice to know that I'll still have the program I know and love for a while longer and can hold off on buying a "top of the line" item with my next computer purchase for now until AGP is more trustworthy and fully developed. Thanks for the link to the "Can you Run ArcGIS Pro" link too!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You bet - happy to help!  With regard to AGP being more trustworthy and fully developed, the current release of AGP 2.2.2 is solid.  For 95% of our users, it does the same thing that ArcMap does for them.  The next release, 2.3, is expected early 2019 and will continue to add to missing ArcMap functionality as well as new functionality not seen in ArcMap.  I've been working with it for almost 3 years now and the latest version is stable/performs well.  But like I said, users can continue to use ArcMap for as long as they want.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I think what I use it for constitutes the other 5%, unfortunately. We're blazing trails here trying to use the new Location Referencing extension/UPDM and there are some tools that are still in Desktop that haven't been added to AGP. I just learned how to use the Favorites function in AGP, blew my mind and was a huge sigh of relief, haha! The more I use it the more I come around to it though. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ha!  Yes, the Favorites is a great addition certainly as is making a Folder Connection to the root directory of a hard drive.  Keep on exploring - there's a lot of interesting functionality in Pro.  All the best and keep on blazing trails!

0 Kudos