How can I change the color of the Basemap?

Jump to solution
09-23-2018 07:24 PM
DavidXu
New Contributor II

Hi I am a new user of ArcGIS Pro desktop version. I am creating a map with data within a country and with neighboring coutries in the background. I found that basemap "World Light Gray Canvas Base" works best for my purpose. However, I really want to modify the color of sea in it. 

I tried an hour but still couldn't find a clue to achieve that. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

David, 

Have a look at the Vector Tile Style Editor. It's beta but very usable.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

David, 

Have a look at the Vector Tile Style Editor. It's beta but very usable.

DavidXu
New Contributor II

Hi Tim,

This seems to be very useful. When I finished editing the basemap in it, how can I export it for use in ArcGIS Pro on my local computer? 

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

You started by copying Esri Basemap Item, right? Then you made changes, then you clicked Update Item.

The edited basemap should be saved in your ArcGIS Online content page. Like this:

To add to your ArcGIS Pro project: on the ribbon > Insert tab > New Map dropdown > New Basemap.

In the Contents pane, right-click the Basemap item > Add Data. In the Browse dialog, under Portal > My Content you should see it and be able to add it.

Does it work? You can also add the basemap to your ArcGIS Online gallery. I think then it should be available from the list of Pro basemaps. (I haven't tried that though.)

DavidXu
New Contributor II

I saved as my own version in the online style editor. Then I "insert a new Basemap" to create a blank basemap. However, when I right-click the Basemap item on the left, there is no option for "Add Data". Did I click the right thing?

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hm, not sure. You don't see a context menu when you right-click the Basemap? (Here's what my context menu looks like when I right-click the Basemap in the Contents pane.) What if you click the Map tab on the ribbon and click the Add Data button there? 

Basemap context menu in ArcGIS Pro Contents pane

0 Kudos
DavidXu
New Contributor II

Here are what I see when I click them. Is it because that I am using ArcGIS Pro software provided by my university?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release of AGP are you using?  Go the Project tab (blue) and click About.  It should list in the Product Information the release of AGP.  I suspect you may be running an older version of AGP.

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Robert is probably right. If you click the Add Data button on the ribbon--not the drop-down bottom part that you showed in your image, but the top part that opens the Add Data browser--can you see the contents of your ArcGIS Online account, as in this image? And the vector basemap in it? You should be able to select it and add it that way. If not, it seems like your software might need to be updated. At least, nothing else springs to mind.