i still can not open my map in collector ?

09-23-2018 02:28 PM
MarkJackson5
New Contributor

Good evening - Please Help

I purchased a single users GIS package almost 3 weeks ago and still can not open my map in collector.

I am at the stage of publishing a service in the 'Share as Service' box.

I have followed the process and ended up at a point where i can go no further, because a box appears stating that 'you must fix the errors in your document'

See a screen shot of the box in question and a description of the errors.

Thanks eversomuch in advance for the help anyone can offer, it doesn't matter how small

The best of regards Mark Jackson

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Collector for ArcGIS

might be a good place to move your post to, or at least use the "Share" option (just don't double post)

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Based on the screenshot that you attached, it looks like your map is missing a feature layer.

FYI: Collector for ArcGIS can only open and view web maps that contain at least one editable layer (e.g., a feature layer).

When you attempt to publish your map as a service, in the Service Editor dialog, please check Feature Access, under the Capabilities sub-tab. This will create a feature service for your data layer, which can be used as the editable layer in your web map for Collector.

FYI some resources:

Hope this helps,

MarkJackson5
New Contributor

Good Morning Derek

Thanks for the prompt response - it is much appreciated.

I have enabled the Feature Access as you suggested and ticked the

'Operations Allowed' boxes.

There appears to be another issue

When i go to 'Item Description' and 'choose my Tag' my Tag 'Fangorn2' is

not listed instead there is 'Fangorn' which is a previous attempt at a map

i created. - See Screen Shot

Have you any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help

Kind Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkJackson5
New Contributor

Further....

If i ignore the fact that Fangorn 2 is missing from the tags and just tick

'Fangorn' this is what happens - see screen shot.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello Mark,

After looking over your additional screen captures I would like to refer to Derek's previous post. While Collector for ArcGIS requires at least one editable layer when you turn on the capability for "feature access" during the publishing process an actual feature class is required to work with the feature access capability. This information is documented in the resource documentation provided by Derek as well. Should you require additional troubleshooting it might be best to work through this with an Esri Support case.

I would also not recommend publishing the image (displayed in your screen capture) and feature class that will be used for editing to be included in the same published service.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

> When i go to 'Item Description' and 'choose my Tag' my Tag 'Fangorn2' is not listed instead there is 'Fangorn' which is a previous attempt at a map i created

It might be that ArcMap's connection to ArcGIS Online has not refreshed the updated tags you've defined in ArcGIS Online. A quick fix would be to restart ArcMap and reconnect to ArcGIS Online.

> If i ignore the fact that Fangorn 2 is missing from the tags and just tick 'Fangorn' this is what happens - see screen shot.

As Dan Wade suggested, the error message in your new screen capture suggests the map document still does not contain an editable data layer to create a feature service. It looks like you only have imagery in the table of contents. I suggest you add a new feature layer (e.g., feature class) that contains editable data - this will create the feature service when you publish the map.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ThomasBalstrøm
New Contributor III

Hi,

Please make sure that when you shared your map online you made your data editable. Only editable web maps will be visible in Collector.

Kind regards,

Thomas Balstrøm

Dept. of Geoscience, Univ. of Copenhagen, Denmark

0 Kudos
LarryMasters
Occasional Contributor

Mark,

It looks like you are using this for tree locations. What the previous folks are saying is correct. You have to add a something that is editable (a feature class). You only have a raster right now. Add the trees feature class that you are tying to map. Then just use the settings that have been suggested previously. That should work.

Larry

0 Kudos
MarkJackson5
New Contributor

A big thankyou to all that offered a solution to my problem, Namely:

Dan Patterson

Thomas Balstrom

Larry Masters

Derek Law

Dan Wade

Adrian Welsh - you have all now helped me get 2 steps closer to publishing my map in Collector. However, it still won't open in collector - please see the attached error message, if indeed you still have the will to try and solve this issue.

Thanks eversomuch for your patience in advance.

The very best of regards Mark Jackson

0 Kudos