How to trickle down domain updates from AGOL Hosted FeatureService to hosted view?

Jump to solution
09-21-2018 01:32 PM
AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've added a new domain code to a FeatureService field's existing domain.

The Feature Service has several views created from it. None of the views are able to receive the new domain value and it is not present in the drop down.

I added the additional domain value using the data -> fields -> domain interface on the services details. It is present in the source FeatureService. I've tried updating the FeatureService using rest/admin/services update definition, and tried saving both source and view layers under the visualization tab, however to no avail. The view's definition is not updatable in the rest/admin/services.

Any help/work arounds so I don't have to re-create these views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

FYI we have addressed this issue in the next online 6.4 release (Dec. release). Any changes in the source layer field properties will be propagated to all views by default. Also the view can overwrite the field domains and alias if needed. Until we release this enhancement, you do not need to recreate the view, just use the view layer updateDefinition to change the view fields domain/alias. This can be a workaround until we deploy the enhancement in 6.4.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You will have to recreate the views in order to see the new domain value. Currently this behavior is as designed but we are considering an enhancement that would allow the domain value to populate in existing views. 

Can you send me your customer number at kcullen@esri.com

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

FYI we have addressed this issue in the next online 6.4 release (Dec. release). Any changes in the source layer field properties will be propagated to all views by default. Also the view can overwrite the field domains and alias if needed. Until we release this enhancement, you do not need to recreate the view, just use the view layer updateDefinition to change the view fields domain/alias. This can be a workaround until we deploy the enhancement in 6.4.

JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II

Was this implemented? I'm currently running into this issue.

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Yes this should be in online FS. Pl. let me know if you have any issues with it.

Khaled

0 Kudos
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

I have a feature layer that was created on 10/28/19, along with a hosted feature layer view. I am having this issue where additions to domains/lists do not replicated in the view. I have tested this with a brand new layer created in ArcGIS Online, and it worked like it should on that one. On this particular layer, however, the subsequent view never updates with the new domain/list entries. Would the update to ArcGIS Online only affect layers created after the update? 

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Hi Andy,

By default, we support updating view fields when the source layer fields changed. However it it happens you have updated any fields in the view,  these fields will not see the changes from the source.

We have extended the support to join view also in June release of online (June 2020). Unfortunately we do not have away to reset the view back to its source if you have overridden the view fields (changing field editable, etc. in the view) and you will have to recreated the view if you need to reset them back.

Pl. let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Khaled

0 Kudos