ArcGIS GeoEvent Server is waiting for a connection to the ZooKeeper.

09-20-2018 12:13 PM
AndrewBednara
New Contributor

I have a ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 instance that I have also installed GeoEvent following the instructions.  The Server is working fine but when I try to go to the GeoEvent manager page I get an error that says, "ArcGIS GeoEvent Server is waiting for a connection to the ZooKeeper."

No where in the install did it talk about a Zookeeper.  both GeoEvent services and GeoEvent Gateway services are running.  I have checked the port 4181,4182,4190 which are the Zookeeper ports acording to the instruction but nothing is listening.  Is there a step I am missing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanielCota1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew Bednara

Try going to Server Admin > system > platformservices > Synchronization_Service > status to first check if it is started. You can then try starting it if it was stopped or restarting it using the start operation. After the status is shown as STARTED again, check to see if logging in works.

-Daniel

AndrewBednara
New Contributor

I followed your instructions and it was indeed stopped.  I started and tried to log in but still get the "waiting for connection to the Zookeeper" when trying to log into the geoevent manager page.

0 Kudos
RichardsonAluvilayil
Esri Contributor

Hey Andrew,

I am not sure if the issue is resolved or not. If not, please try the following steps:

- Navigate to ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory > Home > system > platform services

- Make sure that all the Services like the Synchronization Service, Compute Platform and Message Bus are in STARTED state

- If they are STOPPED, then manually START it

- Navigate to Windows Services panel (Windows Run > services.msc)

- Stop the ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS GeoEvent Server and ArcGIS GeoEvent Gateway Windows services

- After this, clear out the content inside the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\data (leave the data folder intact)

- Start the ArcGIS Server Windows service

- Wait for a couple of minutes (around 5-7 minutes should be fine), just to make sure that all the necessary background processes for ArcGIS Server are started

- Start the ArcGIS GeoEvent Gateway Windows service

- Wait for a couple of minutes (around 2 minutes should be fine)

- Start the ArcGIS GeoEvent Server Windows service

- Wait for a couple of minutes (around 2 minutes should be fine)

- Clear the browser cache

- GeoEvent Manager should load successfully 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richardson

EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I am also experiencing the same message, after installation and accessing GeoEvent Manager for the first time. Followed the above guide but I still continue to receive the error in IE

"ArcGIS GeoEvent Server is waiting for a connection to the Zookeeper.If this takes too long, contact system administrator to make sure Gateway is properly running".

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 is installed on the same machine

One difference, I am accessing Manager via http://localhost:6180/geoevent/manager because via 6143, I receive a certificate error which prohibits any access to GeoEvent Manager. 

Thanks, Ed

0 Kudos
RichardsonAluvilayil
Esri Contributor

Hello Ed,

Could you please confirm that you can access the ArcGIS Server Manager on Port 6443 ( https://localhost:6443/arcgis/manager ). This is to check whether the ArcGIS Server site was properly created. Once confirmed, try to access GeoEvent Manager.

If the issue persists, do a GeoEvent Admin Reset, steps are as follows:
- Navigate to Windows Services panel (Windows Run > services.msc)
- Stop the ArcGIS GeoEvent Gateway and ArcGIS GeoEvent Server Windows service

- Locate and delete the files and folders beneath the following directories (leaving the parent folders intact):
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\data\
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\gateway\log
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\etc\com.esri.ges.gateway.cfg
C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent\
C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent-Gateway\zookeeper-data
C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent-Gateway\kafka\logs (delete the 'logs' sub-folder, leave the 'kafka' folder intact)

- Start the ArcGIS GeoEvent Gateway Windows service, then wait for around 3 minutes
- Start the ArcGIS GeoEvent Server Windows service, then wait for around 3 minutes
- Clear the browser cache

Try accessing the GeoEvent Manager now ( https://localhost:6143/geoevent/manager or http://localhost:6180/geoevent/manager ). If the issue persists, contact Esri Technical Support.

Thanks,
Richardson 

EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hello Richardson 

Thankyou for your reply. I can access and log into GIS Server manager via https://<localhost>:6443/arcgis/manager and also the <FQDN> and <dns name>.

I followed your instructions and the problem persists. However, I noticed that the file C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\etc\com.esri.ges.gateway.cfg and folder C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent-Gateway\kafka\ did not exist, but I know they should exist, as, I believe, these are part of a standard and complete installation for 10.7.1 (im using ArcGIS_GeoEvent_Server_1071_169716)?

Thanks Ed

0 Kudos
RichardsonAluvilayil
Esri Contributor

Hello Ed,

Since you mentioned that some default files and folders are missing, the next step is to go for a clean un-install and re-install.

Use Control Panel to un-install GeoEvent Server 10.7.1. After un-install is complete, browse to the below locations (default) and delete:

Content within - C:\arcgisserver\local\zookeeper
GeoEvent and GeoEvent-Gateway folder within - C:\ProgramData\Esri
GeoEvent folder should be deleted automatically. If not, do it manually - C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent

ArcGIS_GeoEvent_Server_1071_169716 is the Final build for 10.7.1. Use that to re-install GeoEvent. Once complete, try to login to GeoEvent Manager.

Thanks,

Richardson

EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hey Richardson

Unfortunately, the error message persists (http://localhost:6180/geoevent/manager) and C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent-Gateway\kafka\ folder doesn't exist. Just one small thing to add to your instructions above; the ArcGIS Server service needs to be stopped before deleting content as the service has a lock on C:\arcgisserver\local\zookeeper\data.   

The Program Data, Program Files\ArcGIS\ and c:\arcgisserver all have full control to admin domain account ( with less than 20 characters) and the zookeeper and spark services are started under ArcGIS Server Admin Directory > system> platform services.  

Ed

0 Kudos
EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hello everyone

I just wanted to close the loop on my post.

I went back to basics in architecture and the issue was that the ArcGIS Server site was joined (the site had two machines, in an active - passive high availability type scenario). GeoEvent isn't designed to be installed in such a way. You can only have (1 machine > 1 ArcGIS Server > 1 GeoEvent Manager) as 1 GeoEvent site in a single machine deployment scenario. We decided to have two independent and seperately managed GeoEvent sites ( 2 single machine deployment scenarios) and split up the streams between them. This, and more detailed information is reccomended in this great blogGeoEvent and High Availibility 

We will look into GeoEvent High Availability (three machines) in the future (following this great GeoEvent Tutorial)

The other thing to note is that if you are using a CA SSL certificate instead of a self signed certificate, you must change ArcGIS Server to use this certificate (in Administration Directory) before you install GeoEvent. In C:\Program Data\Geoevent\certs\, the jks file stores the certificate details from ArcGIS Server. 

Thanks again 

Ed

0 Kudos