ArcGIS Geocode Locator doesn't find addresses with incomplete Street Name

09-20-2018 02:25 AM
GianniContino
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with ArcGIS Locator (version 10.5) and so published to ArcGIS Server (10.2.2).

Locator is configured like this (with very low threshold):

but it is still unable to find a lot of Italian address. For example (for Salerno: city),

if I try:

Via Salvador Allende, Salerno

it finds it.

if I try only with surname:

Via Allende, Salerno

or with short name

Via S. Allende, Salerno

it doesn't find anything.

It allows only some little mistakes in spelling, like 2 or max 3 wrong digits.

In my street data (Navteq) there are a lot of long street names and it is difficult for user to guess the entire string.

Is it an issue of bad settings? or of version?

Thanks a lot,

Gianni

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might try lowering your Candidate and/or Match score.  Do something radical like all the way down to zero for both, and see what happens; if you get hits, move them up incrementally unitl you lose them and back them back down to where you did get hits.  It will be messy, as you'll get plenty false positives.

Another option would be  an alternate names table.  I used that approach in a 9-1-1 setting and it worked well, it just takes a ton of work.  Using your example:

Via Salvador Allende = the full name

Salvador Allende = alternate 1

Via Salvador = alternate 2

You'll make yourself crazy if you start adding mis-spellings as alternate names;dispatchers would ask me to do that. No way was I crossing that line...

A third option is to investigate Enabling Suggestions, but I'm not sure at what version server it's available.

That should just about do it....
GianniContino
New Contributor III

Why ESRI geocoding online https://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/ is able to find also incomplete names?

Is it due to settings of geoceoder service, or to good quality of data.

Did you use Here Navstreets data, or TomTom? Did you find some alternate names table in those DB?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I used my own data that was maintained and updated on a regular basis locally.  That's all I did.  When an address didn't resolve I researched it and fixed the problem. That's what you do in 9-1-1. Every address counts.  The data that ESRI uses in thier geocoding service is improving all the time; it is submitted to them via the Community Maps program by local subject matter experts.  I've never used commercially available data for geocoding as I have access to high quality local data...

That should just about do it....