Analyzing spatio-temporal data

09-19-2018 09:37 AM
Labels (1)
JenniferWeaver
New Contributor

Is there a way to do an emerging hotspot analysis that illustrates the change in values associated with points or polygons over time as opposed to simply counting the number of points that occur over time?

3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jen,

I am thinking not natively. I wonder if you would need to have an extra attribute that records this change in time and then do the emerging hot spot analysis.

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

I think I might have the same question. We have data of fire hydrant assessments by several crews over several weeks. They record several different factors about each hydrant such as: Pressure, or length of time it was flowed for. It’s relatively easy to find trends in each of these dimensions like:

• Paul is more productive than Bobby.
  • We are more productive in the morning vs afternoon.
  • We’re more productive in a quiet residential neighborhoods where hydrants are uniformly spaced at 500ft.
  • The shorter the flow time, or the lower the pressure, the more productive we are.

But I want some kind of multivariate analysis and the problem with Emerging HotSpots is that they will only assess a single analysis variable at a time (eg: Assessment Count, or ave FLOWTIME, or Std Dev of PRESSURE) and tell me if, over time in that area, that variable goes hot (increases) or cold (decreases), oscillates or is sporadic. What I want is to know if COUNT lowered over time in this AREA as Std Dev of PRESSURE increased. Thoughts?

AnalysisArcGIS AnalyseManaging Data

0 Kudos
FloraVale
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer Weaver

With the Create Space Time Cube By Aggregating Points tool you can add summary fields so that values associated with your points are summarized. 

Available statistic types are:

• SUM-Adds the total value for the specified field within each bin.
  • MEAN-Calculates the average for the specified field within each bin.
  • MIN-Finds the smallest value for all records of the specified field within each bin.
  • MAX-Finds the largest value for all records of the specified field within each bin.
  • STD-Finds the standard deviation on values in the specified field within each bin.
  • MEDIAN-Finds the sorted middle value of all records of the specified field within each bin.

With the Create Space Time Cube From Defined Locations tool you can provide point or polygon data with values at the same location over time and analyze them without spatial aggregation.

Hope this helps,

Flora