How to create a GeoRef (World Geographic Reference System) grid?

09-18-2018 11:39 PM
js24
by
New Contributor

I am using the Grids and Graticules designer window to edit one of the template grid XMLs provided with installation of ArcMap. I am editing the XML to include GeoRef coordinates in the grid as an annotation. GeoRef is a style type in the annotation properties, but when I make a grids and graticules layer, the coordinates are incorrect. Is there something else that I need to include in the designer when working with GeoRef, like load the coordinate system zones into the Grid? If that is what I am missing, does anyone know where to get this - I know GeoRef is not widely used.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jill

No, the GeoRef coordinates are not widely used.  I will have to do some testing to verify the incorrect coordinates issue.  In the mean time, what versions of ArcMap and Production Mapping are you using?  Thanks for your patience while I investigate.

Regards, 

Bo

0 Kudos
js24
by
New Contributor

Hi Bo,

It is just as likely that I am using the Grids and Graticules designer incorrectly, but thanks for looking into it. Just some more detail, even when I include all "Groups" in the GeoRef coordinate annotation, I only see the letters, I do not see the numbers which are also part of the coordinate. I am using ArcMap 10.5.1, I installed Production Mapping through Mapping and Charting Solutions 10.5.1 for Desktop.

Thanks!

Jill

0 Kudos
Bo_King

Hi Jill

I am also seeing the issues with the GeoRef coordinates.  I would suggest that you go ahead and submit this issue to Tech Support.   I would describe the issue as follows:

• Make Grids And Graticules Layer GP does not create the correct GeoRef coordinates.   
  • GeoRef grid annotation text strings both are incorrect & incomplete. 

If you have sample grid XML, you will want to submit that as well.  Please let me know once you receive a support issue number, and I can then forward my results to Tech Support as well.  Thanks for reporting this issue.

Regards,

Bo

0 Kudos
JillSlater3
New Contributor III

Hi Bo,

I submitted this issue to Tech Support via our esri supplier so I didn't get a support issue number myself, but they have now logged it as a bug "BUG-000118233 Make Grids And Graticules Layer GP tool not generating 1 - degree designation, northing, or easting correctly for GEOREF coordinates".

Jill

Bo_King

Thanks Jill.  I hope this is fixed for you soon.

0 Kudos