Let's try this another way: Is there any way in ArcPy to reproduce the "Vary symbology by rotation" functionality from ArcGIS Pro's GUI?

09-18-2018 11:41 AM
ZacharyKlaas
New Contributor II

I just want my script to rotate my symbols, the way it's possible to do by manually using "Vary symbology by rotation".  Why isn't this easy?  Why isn't there something like item.varySymbologyByRotation(variable)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not in arcpy yet as you have probably explored

Symbol—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

Symbology—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcGIS Ideas i‌f you have a popular use-case, it may get implemented

ZacharyKlaas
New Contributor II

Yes, this is pretty much what I thought.

Consequently I'm stuck with trying to get the code to work that you were helping me with on the other thread (Trying to rotate icon differently for each unique value in UniqueValueRenderer ).  I'm frustrated because I am so close to getting this working.  I can see that the icon does the rotation I want, but I can't figure out how to get the code to say "okay, we've done this unique value, now move on to the next one, rotate that one differently, and don't obliterate what we just calculated for this unique value and replace it with the rotation for the next one".

If I can't use ArcPy to directly use existing functionality to Vary Symbol By Rotation, this is the only option left to me.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Reading rotations from a table would even be useful.  I would put up an idea in any event, it may have wider appeal

0 Kudos