Automatically refresh layer data from Excel

09-18-2018 10:14 AM
JoeyNeedham
New Contributor II

I have seen quite a few posts in the same realm of what I am looking for but nothing has solved my issue.

I have an excel document with data that is refreshing/changing every 15 minutes. I have successfully made a layer on my map with the latitude/longitude values in the spreadsheet. However, the data on the map is not refreshing itself even with the refresh interval set at 1 minute. It simply shows the data from the time I put it in. 

Basically what I am asking here is if there is a way to get that data to refresh automatically at the same rate as the Excel sheet. I should add that I am new to ArcGIS and using a free trial to test it out for another company. Not sure if that's relevant or not but any help would be appreciated.

excel data‌   arcgis-online‌

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KatherineFitzgerald
New Contributor III

The Layer Refresh feature works only with layers added from ArcGIS. To use an Excel layer, share the layer to your ArcGIS organization. Hope this helps.

JoeyNeedham
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply.

So there is no way for me to get that hosted feature layer to auto-update from excel? If not, do you know any other path for me to achieve this? Also, I have the layer shared to Everyone and my Organization.

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Joey,

The data from Excel once uploaded to the ArcGIS Online as a layer or item, any updates on the excel will not automatically not update on the item and if any changes made to the item online will not update the excel on its own.

In the first scenario, where there is an update in the excel you need to use the overwrite feature to update the item on ArcGIS Online. In this case there is no need to share the item with your organization if it is already shared with them.

In the second scenario, where there is an update on the item available in ArcGIS Online you need to export it out as new file and share it with your organization.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
JoeyNeedham
New Contributor II

So I have the problem solved, it's a roundabout way of getting it done but it works. Saved the spreadsheet to my google drive as a CSV file and then modified it's "shareable link address" (shown here https://solvemethod.com/google-drive-direct-link/).

Then adding the file from the web with that address it now updates the information at the set interval with whatever is last SAVED on the spreadsheet.

0 Kudos
MansiPatel
New Contributor II

Hi Joey Needham,

I have same issue that i am updating excel file in my one drive but changes are not reflecting on AGOL data tab.

i also wants to update a data in AGOL when changes occurs in excel on one drive but without manual operation.

Is this possible or not? can anyone suggest me right path?

Below, i have attached screenshot of data in AGOL while excel has more data entered but its not showing me in AGOL. you can check screenshot of excel data as well.

Thanks a lot in advance.

ThomasButton
New Contributor III

Just wondering if this was ever resolved. im looking at the same things now as i have a excel table with a power query pulling data on an hourly refresh with Lat / Lng from the DB but need this in AGOL without manual updates every  few hours/days

0 Kudos