How to restrict editing by field?

09-18-2018 01:59 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is there a way to restrict editing field by field in a AGO web map?

I planned to just uncheck the Edit checkbox in the popup of the webmap but found a user can just go in and check it back on, then edit all they want.

I can not limit the field using a View because I still want the user to see the field.  (It would be awesome if the Define field box had 2 checkboxes, View and Edit, like the popup does.)

I think the answer is no since field level has always been an issue but wanted to check.

thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think record by record is as close as we can get for now.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is not currently possible through the UI. You can publish the feature layer from Desktop with read only (editing disabled) fields. 

Were you hoping to set fields in views as read only?

Are you creating multiple views from the same parent feature layer and you want each view to have different read only fields?

Can you share more about your project and workflow where you were hoping to use read only fields?

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is the project.  We are a large govt dept with a central office, many field offices, and many field crews.  The central office designs a set of plot locations to visit nationally.  These plots are then split out and sent out to each state field office.  The field office then splits them up among several field crews.

What we would like is.  The central office creates the initial data and populates field 1-10 for example in a HFS.  I then create a View for each field office with a def query so they can only see their states plots.  In this view the field office will enter data into fields 11-20 with pre field visit data (unless they force a view per crew but hoping map def query is ok - even if a user could remove it and see all).  The field crew will the use Collector to visit there plots and enter data into fields 21-40 lets say.  Each level should only be able to edit their set of fields but they ALL need to see All/most fields - esp things like plotkey.  Central office can edit any field.

We are prob ok if field office and field crew can edit the same but for sure central office should be diff then field - otherwise someone can change a plotkey and mess up the entire thing.  So I cannot just hide the field - the field crew needs to see it just not be able to edit it.  I can simulate this with the popup checkboxes - but someone could change the popup and start editing.

I think what would be cool is if this field select box for views

Looked like the popup box options

That way I can set if I want to hide the field completely or let them see it just not edit it.  For now I can only stop all editing or let them edit everything.

My last company did the exact same workflow so I think it is common.

thanks!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the information!

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Doug,

With that example, maybe have a separate table of the fields needed for each team.

The level of security required could then be set accordingly at the table level.

The relates and/or joins should allow you to assemble what you need for each team.

-Bill

0 Kudos