Can I force ArcPro to show an entire polygon when creating map series?

Jump to solution
09-17-2018 10:54 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey, 

I have created a map series based on a bunch of polygons, and I want to iterate over these polygons and export a PDF accordingly. This works well on the most part, but on a select few of my polygons, it is rounding to the nearest 2500 scale, but this scale is masking some of my polygon.

In this GIF you can see it is working well for a few polygons, but one of them it is masking the east and western sections which is annoying me.

I have tried percent and centimeters as the best fit extent.

(click to make full screen)

any ideas if I can tell ArcPro to only chose a scale that will show the entire feature?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ben, 

Your expectations of setting a margin is valid, and unfortunately, this is most likely a bug. Can you pass this along to Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Dan does point toward a workaround.  You could set the Map Extent with the third option - "Use Scale From Field".  It would require extra work in creating a field for your index layer and populating this field with the required scale value. 

Tom

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

center and scale?

Customize your map extent—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

what are currently using during the process?

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Hey Dan, 

I am unsure what you are asking?

I am using best fit, with a 15 percent buffer. But it seems this buffer is not being enforced as per my video above, as it is not showing the entire polygon.

Also I am unable to use centre and maintain scale, as each polygon varies greatly in size.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I thought center and scale might be a better option

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

oh ok, unfortunately these road polygons are from 50m long to about 3km long, so it will be hard to find a suitable scale.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ben, 

Your expectations of setting a margin is valid, and unfortunately, this is most likely a bug. Can you pass this along to Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Dan does point toward a workaround.  You could set the Map Extent with the third option - "Use Scale From Field".  It would require extra work in creating a field for your index layer and populating this field with the required scale value. 

Tom

ChristiHallman
New Contributor II

So was this ever solved? I am having the same issue. I want to say when I've done similar things in ArcMap it worked out just fine. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Christi, 

I'm unaware of any bug specific to this issue that was actually submitted to Technical support. Without actual steps/data to reproduce the issue there is very little we can do. As stated above, technical support is better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data than this forum. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
ChristiHallman
New Contributor II

So was this ever solved? I am having the same issue. I want to say when I've done similar things in ArcMap it worked out just fine

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I am having the same issue 

0 Kudos