ArcReader 10.6.1 Find tool not working after period of inactivity

09-14-2018 12:38 PM
AdamGebhart
Occasional Contributor III

We have two users on ArcReader 10.6.1 that have noticed the Find tool quits working after a 30-60 minute period of inactivity.  In order to get the Find tool to work again they have to restart Reader. 

I commented out all locators in the defaultlocator.xml file this morning (see a similar thread here) but that didn't resolve the issue.  Even so, they are not searching with the default locators but from features within the pmf.

Both users were just upgraded to Windows 10, 64-bit and 8GB RAM last week and I think they said they were noticing the same problem when they were on Windows 7 and likely ArcReader 10.4.1 or 10.5.1.

Has anybody else experienced this issue in 10.6.1?  Is there a fix different from what I referenced above?  Sometime soon I should have a Web AppBuilder app available that will replace any need for Reader but I'm hoping there is a quick fix to keep them going until then, or at least avoid having to close and reopen Reader.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JorgeRuiz-Valdepena
New Contributor III

Dear Adam,

I have Windows 10, 64-bit and 16GB RAM. I installed in my computer ArcReader 10.6.1 (Build 9270). I published a map and opened in ArcReader. After 60 minutes of having the “Find tool window” open it still working just fine. I left the window idle for more than 60 minutes, as soon as I clicked on it, it activated very quickly. I am afraid it is not the ArcReader :0(

0 Kudos
AdamGebhart

Jorge:

Thanks for information.  Do you have any idea what could be causing the problem?  I haven't yet tried recreating the mxd in 10.6.1 (it probably comes from 10.3 or 10.4) and republishing it.  Maybe that will work? 

Adam

0 Kudos
JorgeRuiz-Valdepena
New Contributor III

Good Morning Adam,

I am testing mxds created with 10.3 and 10.4 accessed with ArcReader 10.6.1

I will share with you the results later in the day.

Enjoy your day

Cheers

Chao

Jorge Ruiz-Valdepeña,

GIS Instructor, CTT+

0 Kudos
JorgeRuiz-Valdepena
New Contributor III

Dear Adam,

I have no good news for you. I am sorry my friend. Since my last email until now both mxds 10.3 and 10.4 have been open and the “Find” tool, after all this time, is up and running. However, when I went back to mxd 10.3, I noticed that after hitting enter or Find, the results window did a quick flashing without showing the values. Once, I clicked on New Search, the tool worked just fine.

I am sorry that I was not able to replicate your issue with the “Find tool” and help you out :0(

One difference is that I have the double of RAM.

Have a good day

Cheers

Chao

Jorge Ruiz-Valdepeña,

GIS Instructor, CTT+

AdamGebhart

Thank you for checking on this for me.  I'll continue to look into this and will reply back if I find what could be causing the problem. 

0 Kudos
CyrilDynka_Mrva
Esri Contributor

Hello Adam, do you have still issues with ArcReader after inactivity in Windows 10? Do you have data stored localy or using data from shared folder?

0 Kudos
AdamGebhart

I believe we do but I don't know for sure as I have not heard from our few ArcReader users since my original posts.  I'm guessing at this point they just know what the best work around is.

In the near future we will transition them away from ArcReader maps to a web app.

0 Kudos