Editing routes - syncing chainage to original layer

Jump to solution
09-13-2018 04:17 AM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

I have setup simple linear referencing on a pipes layer by feeding in a line featureclass that contained start/end chainage values.  This create a M aware routes layer.  All the data is loaded into an Oracle Enterprise GDB.

This is being used in IBM Maximo.

Maximo is conifgured to pull its chainage values from the original attributes in the line featureclass.  The route layer (pipes), is M aware, but does not contain the original start/end chainage values, and I think this is by design.

So the problem is if I make changes to the route layer, Maximo still refers to the old chainage values in the original featureclass.

According to the Maximo documentation:

You need to keep the route feature class in sync with the original feature class configured in Maximo Spatial Asset Management. You must define a process to recreate it periodically.

If a route layer changes, how can I automate updating the original Start/End chainage values? (which Maximo is dependent on).

I am not using Roads & Highways or the Gas Pipeline model.  Just plain old linear referencing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Since you are using a measured polyline layer(M-aware), you can use ST_Geometry functions to calculate the measure as an attribute. The functions to call are:

• START = sde.st_minm(shape) 
  • END = sde.st_maxm(shape)

Length calculation = sde.st_maxm(shape) - sde.st_minm(shape)

You can script this using samples at:  ST_Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

Hi Simon, 

I am struggling with a similar problem. Have you ever gotten the answer? Did you find solution to automate updating the original values?

Aleksandra

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Since you are using a measured polyline layer(M-aware), you can use ST_Geometry functions to calculate the measure as an attribute. The functions to call are:

• START = sde.st_minm(shape) 
  • END = sde.st_maxm(shape)

Length calculation = sde.st_maxm(shape) - sde.st_minm(shape)

You can script this using samples at:  ST_Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

Hello Ayan and thank you for the response! 

What I am more interested in is a configuration between Enterprise database and Maximo and keeping data in sync. 

I have quite opposite situation to Simon but the general question about automating incoming updates is the same. 

I have a feature layer with linear data which exists in Maximo. I have taken a copy of this feature layer, converted linear data to X,Y coordinates and saved in my SQL EnterpriseGDB. Then I have configured Maximo Spatial with ArcGIS Server by delivering feature layer with X, Y coordinates and linking object by using ObjectID attribute. What I am wondering about are all the updates and new objects coming to Maximo (which is an original source of data). How can I keep data from ArcGIS updated? Do I need to run a separate script which converts every new object in Maximo to X,Y coordinates and saves in SQL EnterpriseGDB or is there any out-of-the-box solution inside Maximo Spatial which supports this operation?

Is there any ESRI team working with integrations with IBM software? I did not find so much resources online.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri has worked with IBM Maximo team on the GIS integration. Maximo Spatial is a licensed module that can be used to tie into the GIS asset database. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSG2D3_7.6.0/com.ibm.spl.doc/c_prod_overview.html

0 Kudos