How to share a private Story Map with outside organizations who don't have ArcGIS Online?

09-11-2018 11:31 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I created a Story Map in my ArcGIS Online Org account, and I'd like to share this with partners outside of my organization (about 15) but some of the data is private/sensitive so I can't make it public.  If I set up a license for all of the partners to gain access to the Story Map through our Organization, they would then have access to all of our Org data which I do not want.  If I create a public account and then create a group within my Organization, I cannot send an invitation to a public account to be a member of this group.  Help!  I've created a wonderful Story Map but collaboration using it doesn't seem possible.  Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you! Lauren

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Lauren,

In order to share content privately, users require an ArcGIS Online organization account. Members can either be a member of your organization or another organization.

Sharing and Collaboration across ArcGIS Online Organizations 

If you want the members to be a member of your organization, you can create a custom role that doesn't allow for users to view organization content. This way the members can see what is shared with them, but not other content in the organization. Check out the contractor role in this blog:

The Author, Contractor and some Managers: A Tale of Roles and Privileges 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kelly, thanks so much for your response!  I hadn't worked with roles before.  So far I've done this - I created a member and assigned them a license, I created a custom role for 'external partner', only assigning them the privilege to join an organizational group (shown below), and I created a group and added the partner member to the group.  When I log into ArcGIS online using the external partner license I still see all of the organizational data that I want to keep private.  

The section in the blog under 'contractor' role states:  "The Author template will also be used as a starting point for the Contractor Role. The sharing, and edit privileges will remain the same as the Author Template role. The view privilege under the members tab is disabled and prevents the user from viewing the My Organization page."

I really can't tell what's going wrong.  Would you have any advice?  Thank you in advance?  L

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Lauren,

Is the content shared with the organization or shared with everyone? If the content is shared with Everyone, the users will still be able to view content that is shared with everyone. A user with the External Partner role that you created should not be able to see content that has been shared with the organization.

I'd suggest taking a look at the specific content, but if that doesn't help, get in contact with technical support to look into this further.

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is it, this is content shared with everyone.  I was thrown by the 'Organization' tab and not realizing this was data shared with everyone.  Thank you so much for helping me figure this out and for your time! 

Lauren