Cascade superscript

Jump to solution
09-12-2018 05:31 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm really trying to like cascade but the limited customization is very frustrating. The biggest ones being able adjust font size throughout and the ability to make superscript and subscript. I would've thought these would've been one of the first thing to offer users but I guess not. Is there a way to add superscript like you're able to in other Story Maps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bryan -- Sorry that Cascade doesn't yet provide all the customization options you are looking for. We have intentionally kept options minimal to keep the authoring experience simple, but we realize some authors want more and we're monitoring feedback we receive. We haven't had many requests specifically for super/subscript formatting, but we'll consider that for a future update.

As far as the font size, there are a few font options to choose from in Settings > Appearance that have somewhat different sizes (Noto Serif is a bit larger than the other options), although I realize this is not the level of control you are looking for.

Cascade is an open source app, so this means you can download the source code, modify it to make the customizations you want (such as changing the font size throughout), and host your version of the app. This would require some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, but here's an article that describes that process if you are interested.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bryan -- Sorry that Cascade doesn't yet provide all the customization options you are looking for. We have intentionally kept options minimal to keep the authoring experience simple, but we realize some authors want more and we're monitoring feedback we receive. We haven't had many requests specifically for super/subscript formatting, but we'll consider that for a future update.

As far as the font size, there are a few font options to choose from in Settings > Appearance that have somewhat different sizes (Noto Serif is a bit larger than the other options), although I realize this is not the level of control you are looking for.

Cascade is an open source app, so this means you can download the source code, modify it to make the customizations you want (such as changing the font size throughout), and host your version of the app. This would require some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, but here's an article that describes that process if you are interested.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Bryan -- Could you please let me know how you'd like to use super/subscript text formatting? It would be helpful if you could share a little more on how you'd like to adjust the font size (up/down?) and why. If you could share some additional information that would help us understand how you're using the Cascade Builder and the reasons behind your requests. Thanks!

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No problem.

For super/subscripting sometimes in our reports there are footnotes that have superscript. When I made Story Map Journals I was able to put in <sup> into the source code and create the script. Another example be superscripting the 2 in feet squared.

As for font size just the overall ability to change the font size would be helpful. The biggest example I posted to GeoNet last week (Cascade cover issues ). The problem I ran into was with cover page and title or subtitle being too long. If the title is too long or description is too long it begins to cover the area used for editing. Another use for font size change would for captions or footnotes.

I'm used to using Story Map Journal so most of my thinking is coming from there. I want to branch out from using Journal and want to start incorporating Cascade into some of the projects we do because I think it has promise. I like tot try new things.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the extra info Bryan, I'll make a note of those use cases in our feedback system. In terms of superscripts, it's fairly easy to workaround not having superscript text for the situations you mentioned. You can use something like (1) for citation notes and there are several other common abbreviations for square feet like SF or sq. ft. that can be used.

Owen Evans
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply and taking notes. Those are good ideas on workarounds, didn't think of that. Thank you!

0 Kudos