Feature Class Not Maintaining Coord System

Jump to solution
09-11-2018 09:32 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I seem to be having a problem with my feature class coordinate systems.

I have changed the coordinate system of a feature class many times but it still keeps reverting back to the coordinate system of the feature dataset.

Can someone help me understand the issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Honestly, I don't know. You can try, but I assume it won't let you because there is already a feature class inside with a different CRS. I'd make a new feature dataset with the desired CRS, if you indeed need a feature dataset.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Your feature dataset has a set CRS, and all feature classes within it must share that same CRS.

An overview of working with feature datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

I should ask: are you saving the reprojected feature class within the feature dataset? You would have to save it outside the feature dataset, which has the other CRS already set.

JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Darren.

Yes.  I have been saving them back in the same feature dataset.

Can I simply right-click on the feature dataset---Properties---and modify the XY Coordinate System without causing any issues?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Honestly, I don't know. You can try, but I assume it won't let you because there is already a feature class inside with a different CRS. I'd make a new feature dataset with the desired CRS, if you indeed need a feature dataset.

JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Darren.  Appreciate the assistance.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Definitely, once there's data within a feature class or feature dataset, you can't (or shouldn't) change the coordinate system. The xy/z/m extents (domain), tolerances, and resolution (how the data is stored internally) are all affected by the coordinate system. Because of that, if you want to change the coordinate system with existing data, the data should be reprojected or reloaded to get converted properly. 

Melita

JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Melita.

0 Kudos