Can you search by layer in ArcGIS Explorer?

Jump to solution
09-06-2018 01:35 PM
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am looking to add a layer attribute to the search bar in explorer. I enable the search bar to look for a layer attribute in Portal but it does not seem to carry through to the mobile app.

Does this functionality exist? can I search by layer attribute in ArcGIS Explorer Mobile app?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matt -- Yes, searching your layers in supported in Explorer. Since you mentioned enabling it for in Portal, I am going to assume you are working connected (online). If this is wrong, just let me know.

See some info here, in a tip about supporting feature search: Make online maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS. When you say you enabled it in Portal, are these the steps you took: Configure feature search—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise?   

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matt -- Yes, searching your layers in supported in Explorer. Since you mentioned enabling it for in Portal, I am going to assume you are working connected (online). If this is wrong, just let me know.

See some info here, in a tip about supporting feature search: Make online maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS. When you say you enabled it in Portal, are these the steps you took: Configure feature search—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise?   

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kylie, is it possible to search by layer in an offline Explorer map? I have a .mmpk base map for field use and it would be great if they could search through a couple of the fields in our facility features to help them find where they need to go. 

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sam - I haven't worked with MMPKs in Explorer much of late, so I'm tagging a few other folks who'd better be able to help you: Mark BockenhauerJoel Whitney

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Sam,

Yes, you can.  In ArcGIS Pro you can set up a layer to search, push the Locate button and configure your layer on the locate pane.

Mark

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Mark! I didn't know about this functionality. I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Can you provide more detail on this.  I configure the search fields in my web map application widget, though when I open the map using Explorer these search criteria are not searchable.  I am not able to search by any of my features or fields.  Where is the hidden box to make this work?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew -- When you say "in my web map application widget" where are you talking about? To configure feature search for Explorer, you'll need to configure it in the web map's settings. If you click those links from earlier, you'll find the steps on doing so in ArcGIS Enterprise (and some Explorer-specific tips). If you are using ArcGIS Online, here is the topic you'll want to check out: Configure feature search—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

I see that now.  Was directed there by another post.  Do you know why it only lets you add one field from a layer and not multiple?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

In ArcGIS Online you can search multiple fields from one layer. It is coming to ArcGIS Enterprise in 10.8.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos