Is there a 'Create Points Along Line' Bug?

09-05-2018 08:46 AM
Laurenventure
Occasional Contributor

I'm digitizing apartment suites and my workflow involves creating a line and then utilizing the 'Create Point Along Line' tool. I select the tool from the Create Features panel, highlight my line, fill out the the form and click the Create button. I do this several times for each floor (ex. 4x for 4 floors).

Well sometimes ArcGIS Pro hangs when I go to select the line during this process. I cannot figure out how to replicate this issue consistently enough to let ESRI know, so I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced this?

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 and the line features are in a file geodatabase, the point features I'm creating off the lines is an enterprise geodatabase with SQL server 2012.

The image displays how it looks when it hangs up.

This is how the screen looks when it hangs up. The cursor just spins and I end up going to the Task Manager to end the program.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you outputting the point features to a SQL 2012 GDB? What SDE version? What Projection and storage type? WHen I do the whole workflow using just FGDB, I can't get it to hang. I can get it to error, though, if I don't save edits after I make the line......

0 Kudos
Laurenventure
Occasional Contributor

The point features are being output to a sde enterprise geodatabase version 10.2. We use NAD 1983 StatePlane Texas North Central FIPS 4202 Feet projection. I went ahead and opened a formal help ticket with ESRI. It seems I've found a performance defect. Basically when you run the Create Points Along Line tool and then try to edit vertices of that line feature, it will hang up.

0 Kudos