AGOL Update Data - Only "Append Option" is Available?

09-04-2018 11:06 AM
neiden
by
New Contributor III

Hello! I need to overwrite a hosted feature layer but only the Append Data to Layer option is available? I looked through all the settings for this hosted feature layer and nothing seems to be different from the other layers I routinely Overwrite. I've looked thru GeoNet postings and did google searches to resolve, but came up empty-handed.

Any ideas? I've never come across this before.....

Thanks!

~Nikki Eiden

7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

There are AGOL hosted feature layer issues right now, so this might be the reason it is not working as expected.

ArcGIS Online Health Dashboard 

HollyTorpey1
New Contributor III

Hi Nikki,

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times. We have three feature services that were originally created from Google sheets using the Add Item from Cloud Drive workflow. As needed, I use the Update Data button (selecting Overwrite Entire Layer, the only option) to update these feature services with the current data in the Google sheets. It's quick and easy and works great... until it doesn't.

Three such layers at various times have stopped being updatable. When I click the Update Data button, I suddenly only have the option to Append Data to Layer. So far, I have been unable to find a way to get the Overwrite Entire Layer option back once this happens. I also have not figured out what triggers the change (I know the Google sheet's structure and permissions have not changed). And it usually only affects one of the three feature services at a time. In all cases, I've ended up having to create a new feature service and update all the web maps and apps that display it.

I would love to get to the bottom of this issue.

Holly

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

This happened to me as well, I ended up deleting the hosted feature layer and uploading the new layer in the same location with same name and metadata. It functioned as an overwrite - kept all the links to maps and usage data. After that, the overwrite entire layer option was available again. I don't know if that would work the same way with you but it may be worth a try.

Matt

HollyTorpey1
New Contributor III

Thanks, Matt! That sounds promising. How did you manage to keep the usage data and links from the deleted layer? Even with the same name, didn’t the new layer have a different item ID? Is there documentation for this process somewhere?

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Hi Holly,

I've been exporting a shapefile from the same feature class from a pro project to overwrite the online version for a couple of years. Now that I think about it, it originally cane from an AGOL shapefile that a colleague had created. I imported that into Pro and overwrote the feature layer with the edits I made in pro (before I learned how to share web layers to AGOL).

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

So maybe:

Download your own shapefile associated with the feature layer

Make your edits

Delete the Feature Layer

Upload the edited shapefile as a Feature Layer

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey1
New Contributor III

Interesting! I'll have to give that a try.

0 Kudos