Does ArcGIS Pro support KML hierarchy?

08-31-2018 05:03 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

I have a folder structure that contains a hierarchy of KML files. The top KML file, Main.kml. contains links to other KML files in the hierarchy, which in turn contain links to other KML files in the hierarchy, until, finally, you get to the leaf node that contains actual features. (Note: I didn't set this up, I'm just using it).

I can add Main.kml to Google Earth and all of the links to the sub-layers and folders in the hierarchy show up, and I can turn them on and the data appears in Google Earth.

When I add KML files from this hierarchy into a map in ArcGIS Pro, sometimes they work, but, more often than that, they don't. Often, only a couple levels of the hierarchy will be show in the map contents pane, and I can't drill down further. If I load one of the leaf KML nodes, then it seems to work fine. Anything else is hit-or-miss. Often ArcGIS Pro crashes when I try to drill down from a higher-level KML node.

Does anyone have any insight?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They do describe the structure here

KML layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

but make little commentary otherwise than parts may be hidden

Work with KML layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

and in the...

KML To Layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

they state that the

Input up to KMZ version 2.2 of the OGC KML standard is mostly supported

but I haven't checked to see if that is the most recent version (is that an issue?)

0 Kudos