Geocode points by polygon ID

08-24-2018 09:27 AM
JeremyNeufeld
New Contributor

I'm pretty new to ArcGIS / ArchGIS Pro and I'm hoping I can get some assistance with this task I need to accomplish.  I have an excel spreadsheet with data that I need to place as points on the map.  The points need to be  placed within a parcel polygon where the parcel ID = table ID.  The point can be placed anywhere within the parcel, that doesn't matter and there may be more than 1 point per parcel.

I used to work with MapInfo and this was quite easy to do, I'm hoping it can be done within ArcGIS.  Thanks for any help.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

First thing is you need to create a Geocoding Locator based on you parcels data that uses the parcel id as the matching attribute.  Take a look here to start with:  About geocoding a table of addresses—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You'll probably end up with a locator based on a single field locator style:Commonly used address locator styles—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeremyNeufeld
New Contributor

I will be using a single field for the locator.  The problem I'm seeing is with the locator service.  I'm not doing a location based on an address that can be found using any of the locator service.  It's matching the Parcel ID in the spreadsheet with the Parcel ID in the feature class.  Essentially it's a join however I need to create the points on the map.  It doesn't seem that I can use my Parcel feature class as a locator service.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It's a very common practice to match to given id of a polygon.  

It doesn't seem that I can use my Parcel feature class as a locator service.

Are you getting an error?  What is your process to build the locator?  Version of ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
JeremyNeufeld
New Contributor

I was able to get it to work.  I had to first create a locator service using my Parcel data and the ID field.  I was then able to successfully geocode against that.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Cool!

0 Kudos