Why does survey public web form require signing in while filling out the survey?

08-24-2018 01:46 AM
deleted-user-292P7gV7eVle
New Contributor II

I published a public web form, where there are about 200 rows (so a lot of questions) and many conditions. The survey is published to ArcGIS Online. The survey is not meant to be used on the Survey123 app, but people can do it if the want to. When I published it the first time it turned out that the field length was too small for open questions (people already had filled out the survey) so I decieded to republish it. I configured the field length and then I republished it. I made the form and the feature service public. Now I have a situation where every day a couple of people are filling out the survey on a computer and suddenly the survey requires signing in. It does not always occur with the same question: sometimes the log in page occurs in the beginning of the survey, sometimes in the end. And also not everyone has this problem. Before I republished the survey I did not receive any concerns about the survey requireing signing in. The really bad thing is that I can't reproduce this problem myself so I am really stuck and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have had this problem? What should I do? I can't publish a completely new survey, because the link has to stay the same for the period of the survey. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Liina,

Can you verify the sharing settings of the Survey in either the Collaborate tab of the Survey123 website or via ArcGIS Online.  A republishing with change in field length may have reset the sharing settings.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi James,

I actually verified after repulishing and now I checked again. The survey (the form and the feature service) is shared with everyone. So the requirement for signing is really weird and it doesn't happen to everyone. Everytime I try to fill out the survey, there are no problems. We are using ArcGIS Enterprise and we have implemented IWA - could this be linked to the problem even though the survey is public?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Liina,

Apologies for the delay.  Yes, the nature of an IWA portal is to always request login credentials when accessing the portal.  

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply. If the survey is shared as public then it shouldn't request login credentials. So what could be possibly wrong? I got some feedback that this issue occurs mainly with Mozilla Firefox. Do you have any suggestions what could I do? Or what could I do to prevent this kind of situation in the future with new surveys?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Liina,

It isn't Survey123 or the Portal requesting login per se; in an IWA configuration, the request for login occurs at web server, before the page loads.  I would expect it to occur in Firefox especially, Internet Explorer and Chrome (on Windows) both automatically access and submit the computer login information when asked; Firefox does not. 

To prevent this in the future, the ArcGIS Server configuration needs to allow both IWA security for private services and anonymous access for public services.  This is normally done by having 2 Web Adaptors (one private, one public) configured with ArcGIS Server - see Supporting a mix of public and private services—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Ente... for more information.

0 Kudos