ArcHydro Stormwater Adjoint Catchment Processing Stuck in Endless Loop

08-22-2018 12:44 PM
Labels (1)
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

I am having some issues with Adjoint Catchment Processing (step 4.14) following the Arc Hydro Stormwater guide V2 found here. I've checked and confirmed that no sink point features are located on top of stream grid cells after step 4.5. After noticing that the drainage line GridID did not match the ouput link raster GridID, I manually adjusted them to match. I also noticed that DrainID was null within the Drainage Lines featureclass, so I did a spatial join to join the HydroID from the basins - this did nothing as they are automatically reset to null values each time the Adjoint Catchment Processing tool is run. On step 4.15, the Adjoint Catchment Processing tool runs without error but gets stuck in an endless loop outputting the message without end:

"Level 1: Processing 9 drainage line(s) with no associated catchment..."

I had let it run for 30 minutes before stopping as the messages had not changed and been repeated over 500 times.

Thank you for reading, any help or pointers are greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

In Arc Hydro, each Drainage Line should have one associated Catchment, so it looks like you have some data issues. The AdjointCatchment tries to "fix" this and keep going until a high number of loops with no changes are reached. This is to deal with large datasets to make sure we do not get out too early.

If you do not have that many catchments then you can cancel the tool and look for Drainage Line having DrainID set to Null to understand what is going on and why you do not have the 1 to 1 relationship.

If all DrainIDs are null, then your GridID are out of synch. Note that when combining StreamLink and SinkLink, you need to pass the DrainageLine as input to keep its GridIDs in synch with the Link grid.

I hope this helps.

Christine Dartiguenave

Esri Water Resources Team

0 Kudos