Choosing the UTM projection for a Data Frame

08-17-2018 02:21 AM
Labels (1)
MikeDavies2
New Contributor

I'm setting the Coordinate System of a data frame that spans the equator. In the past, working in non-equatorial regions but where the data frame horizontally spans two UTM zones, I have selected the UTM zone that most covers the data frame. However, I don't believe my method has been correct.

I have a data frame that mostly displays the N hemisphere, but has a strip at the bottom which is in the S hemisphere. Following the above method, I set the coordinate system to WGS 1984 UTM Zone xxN. However, this has resulted in no latitudinal MGRS labels, except "0" for the equator and "1000mN" for the latitudinal line 1,000m SOUTH of the equator (which incidentally is recessed in towards the data frames' neat-line).

When I change the coordinate system to WGS 1984 UTM Zone xxS, all the labels populate, starting with "9999000mN" at 1,000m S of the equator, "10000" at the equator, followed by "01" at 1,000m N of the equator, "02" at 2,000m N of the equator and so on.

My question therefore is this: Should the coordinate system for a data frame be set based on the location of the lower-left (SW) corner? I appreciate that this may likely just apply to UTM projections.

arcmap10.2.2‌ utm‌ utm zones‌ mgrs grid label‌ mgrs grid‌ mgrs‌

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Are you dead set on UTM?  My guess is you'll find a more applicable projection / spatial reference / coordinate system.  I bet Melita Kennedy‌ has a good idea!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When traversing the equator within a UTM lune, what you see is expected since the referencing number  changes there

Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system - Wikipedia 

If your coverage area is normally in the northern hemisphere then according to 

Add and modify grids—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

you can set a custom origin

In Pro they have a feature to 'clip to UTM boundary'... I wonder how it handles the North/South traverse...

MikeDavies2
New Contributor

Thank you Dan, Joe.  The answer appears to be simply due to the numeric easting and northing values being measured from the lower left corner of the square. Hence, the data frame required projecting based on which zone the lower left corner was found - In this case WGS 1984 UTM Zone xxS.