ArcGIS Pro compatibility with ArcMap annotation

08-15-2018 08:50 AM
KellyLivingstone
New Contributor

I'm hoping to work more and more within ArcGIS Pro (I'm using 2.2.1), but there has been a longstanding issue where not all annotation feature classes from our corporate SDE are displaying within ArcGIS Pro, and this is making it difficult to transition many existing processes we have in the ArcMap 10.6 environment to Pro.

From everything I've read online, annotation should be supported in ArcGIS Pro, but it seems largely random as to which features of ours do and do not work in Pro. Most annotation does work, but there are a select few features that don't seem to show up. I've tried using the "Update Annotation Feature Classes" tool in 10.6 to add attributes describing the annotation (i.e. font, font size, angle, etc) before opening in Pro, and I've also tried "upgrading dataset" on the annotation within Pro, but neither have helped. I also checked if being feature linked changed anything, but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

I'm hoping for some insight, feedback, or even notes from others who have the same issue, especially since it may relate to how annotation is stored in a database (which I am also not very knowledgeable with). Maybe its something very simple I'm overlooking, I'd be happy to provide more information - thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌  …. any insight or links to people working on this?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Kelly Livingstone

What is the RDBMS and version of your enterprise gdb?

When you upgraded the dataset in Pro I'm assuming you did that on a copy, right?  

So if you're back in ArcMap, all annotation displays correctly directly from the enterprise geodatabase feature class. If you export that to a file geodatabase feature class, all is well in ArcMap?  If not, troubleshooting starts here.

If all is well with the file gdb anno, add that to Pro.  Does everything display well?  If not, troubleshooting starts here.

I think this is likely a good candidate for a technical support case as it will take some specific investigation with the data.  But I'm curious about the above...

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

...add to that in the original anno, any of the following for one or more anno features?

• Any rotation? If so, is the rotation defined with more than 2 decimal places?
  • Any custom "follow this line" stuff where after following the line, your split a multiword anno into separate parts to fine tune follow the line
  • Any anno override, such as fonts, etc..
  • A mix of feature linked anno, and some that is not linked to a feature? 
  • My suspicion is you may have some anno features that contain properties that are not compatible with Pro, or are misread by Pro
0 Kudos
KellyLivingstone
New Contributor

Kory Kramer

Thanks Thomas and Kory for the troubleshooting help. I'll look into these issues when I have the opportunity to, and open a technical support case if it comes to that. This should at least help me to get to the bottom of the issue we are having!

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thomas:

Have you upgraded your annotation feature classes to be editable in Pro?  If so, was it an easy process as another user is having some difficulty upgrading the database as per following post:

https://community.esri.com/thread/220395-how-do-i-upgrade-annotation-for-use-in-pro 

0 Kudos