How to dissolve features with no common attribute

Jump to solution
08-13-2018 07:30 AM
OleksandrChubatyy1
New Contributor

Hi, 

I created buffer layer, where some buffer features overlap. There is no common attribute in the layer. Is there a way to merge these overlapped buffers into one? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

If you don't need to retain any attributes, you can just use the Multipart-to-Singlepart tool after the dissolve-all.  If you want to retain the attributes of the features that don't overlap, you can then run a spatial join afterwards, using the buffer polygons as targets and the original points as the join features. There are a couple options on dealing with the merged buffer polygons. Or am I not understanding your question?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

If I understand your question correctly, you just need to choose Dissolve Type "All" when you do the buffer.

0 Kudos
OleksandrChubatyy1
New Contributor

It would create one polygon. I need each buffer as a separate feature and combine buffers into one feature where they overlap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

dissolve_option (Optional)

Specifies the dissolve to be performed to remove buffer overlap. NONE —An individual buffer for each feature is maintained, regardless of overlap. This is the default. ALL —All buffers are dissolved together into a single feature, removing any overlap. LIST —Any buffers sharing attribute values in the listed fields (carried over from the input features) are dissolved.

Buffer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The Dissolve Field(s) parameter Add Field button is used only in ModelBuilder. In ModelBuilder, where the preceding tool has not been run or its derived data does not exist, the Dissolve Field(s) parameter may not be populated with field names. The Add Field button allows expected fields to be added to the Dissolve Field(s) list in order to complete the Buffer tool dialog box.

OleksandrChubatyy1
New Contributor

Hi Dan, 

I created a buffer model as described in Tool Reference. The Dissolve Type is List. 

When I run it I have an error that a new field does not exist within table. Could you point me out where my mistake is? 

I really appreciate your time and help. 

0 Kudos
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

If you don't need to retain any attributes, you can just use the Multipart-to-Singlepart tool after the dissolve-all.  If you want to retain the attributes of the features that don't overlap, you can then run a spatial join afterwards, using the buffer polygons as targets and the original points as the join features. There are a couple options on dealing with the merged buffer polygons. Or am I not understanding your question?