Setting up time enabled layers in ArcGIS Online

08-09-2018 10:17 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Is is possible to create a time-enabled layer from a shapefile in ArcGIS Online without using Desktop at all? I have an Organizational account.

I have a Shapefile (polylines) with text attributes called StartTime and EndTime, with the contents in the form MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss . I can add it to my map, save and publish the layer, but I do not have the Time Settings link referred to in the Configure Time Settings instructions, under Enable Time Settings: Configure time settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS - without this the process grinds to a halt.

How can I proceed to visualise my data over time?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are those fields text fields or date fields? I'm suspecting they are text fields, since shapefile date fields do not support time.

KatyAppleton1

Yes, they are text fields. For this project I need to work without Desktop, and although I have access to QGIS I have found the date/time format problematic.

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Ah, now I see - I made 2 new Date fields in ArcGIS Online and used Calculator to copy the string field across. I now have time options available to enable. This isn't really clear on the above link (I thought I saw somewhere that text or date were OK but I must be mistaken). Thank you!

However, this has thrown up a new problem in that when I Calculate my new Date field to be equal to the old String field, it adds an hour to the time. So 09:30:00 becomes 10:30:00. Why on earth would it do this??

0 Kudos