Pull up Scanned Maps in the Field

Jump to solution
08-02-2018 08:12 AM
AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

I work for a small utility company and I am in the process of scanning hundreds of old construction plans and as-builts from around the area. My plan is to georeference some of these maps and have them available for crews working in the field. I currently have it where some hand drawings can be accessed by links in the attribute tables but these are for single features. The drawings that I am scanning cover large areas and I am wondering what the best way would be so that if they are in an area, they could click on that area in the Collector App and the scanned map would show up. I have thought about making a Polygon layer that would outline the area covered by the maps, and adding links in the attributes for those polygons. The only issue there would be that many of these features may overlap or even encompass others (Smaller scale Overview drawings with multiple larger scale drawings within them). Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to have these maps available to field workers so that they could click on a location and a scanned map pops up?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, that sounds about right.  According to the documentation the storage costs for attachments is 1.2 credits per 1 GB per month.

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Leon

View solution in original post

11 Replies
LeonS
by

Have you looked and the Plans and Drawings solution?  Plans and Drawings | ArcGIS Solutions for Local Government 

We started implementing it a year ago and its been very helpful.  You basically create polygons for plan extents and add the plans as an attachment to the feature.

Leon

AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

Thanks Leon! I'll check it out.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

It looks like that Plans and Drawings solution is built with Web App Builder. You could add a Near Me widget to help users select all plans near the area they will be, even if the polygons overlap. Works well on mobile devices too.

AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

The Plans and Drawings solution seems to be working great. Just to be clear, the attachments to the features would only use 1.2 credits a month per GB correct? 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is that price based on the size of images being stored?  If so, could it get expensive if you have color images that are much larger in size than b/w images?

0 Kudos
AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

I have scanned about 60% of our drawings and I'm at around 1500 files totaling 1.6 GB. The majority of the maps are B/W but there are some color. I am anticipating that once all is said and done I will have around 2.5 GB of scanned documents. I don't anticipate having to attach every single document though. So if I am understanding the credit consumption, if i have around 2 GB of attachments that should only run me about 2.4 credits a month. Does this seem right?

0 Kudos
LeonS
by

Yes, that sounds about right.  According to the documentation the storage costs for attachments is 1.2 credits per 1 GB per month.

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Leon

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alex,

Will your current annual-credit-allotment allow you to sustain this large amount of data on your AGOL account? And is everything else working out ok?

0 Kudos
AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

2.4 credits a month shouldn't have much of an effect for us. Everything is working great. I will post updates as I make more progress. 

0 Kudos