Points or Lines Representing Passage Outlines to Multipatch

07-30-2018 04:12 PM
JonZetterberg1
New Contributor II

I have been able to create 3D points and lines out of cave survey data. From these, I have used the LRUD information to create more points and simplified lines of the passage walls. Does anyone know of a way that I can convert either these points or lines into multipatch features to show a more accurate representation of the cave passage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jon - You've not mentioned the cave survey software you are using, however using Compass I can export a 3D shapefile using the Compass passage wall modeling to generate a somewhat more realistic representation of the cave. I can go back and provide you the steps if Compass is what you are using. I've not experimented from Walls, but this would be a good reason to do so!

A long while ago one of the 3D programmers built a tool for me that would generate the multipatches directly from the LRUDs. That solution has gone defunct, but if there is demand I could look into it again.

0 Kudos
JonZetterberg1
New Contributor II

I didn't mention cave survey software, because I'm not using any. I process my data in Excel using a sheet that I have created. I dump the output from there into a model to generate the points and lines.

Having a tool or script to throw into the end of the model to generate the multipatches would be awesome. 

I'm more than willing to share my process, Excel template, model, and sample data.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I typically use Compass, and it will export a 2D or 3D georeferenced shapefile of the stations, lineplots, or passages with several different wall modeling options. It's next-to-free, and offers lots of other benefits (like managing loop closure errors, viewing the cave in 3D, creating VRML, etc.). It might be of interest to you to check it out: Compass Cave Survey Software.http://www.fountainware.com/compass/

Walls is also very popular, though I've never attempted 3D exports with passage walls to shapefile. It's also free to download, and source code is available on GitHub. Walls Cave Survey Software

I'm interested in learning more about your current workflow, perhaps that's a topic too detailed to cover here. If so, you can connect directly via email to: bszukalski@esri.com.

0 Kudos