AnsweredAssumed Answered

Domains - Codes and Descriptions

Question asked by MrLawrenceLady on Jul 30, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 by jschwartz@fcgov.com_fcgov

My question is more about what is a best practice for coded values in a file geodatabase.  I have a polygon feature that has a domain called ServingAreaType and two coded values.  This GDB was not created by me, rather it will be maintained by the GIS team I am a part of.  The person who created the GDB, who no longer works here, told our team that the code and description should always match.  This doesn't really make sense to me so I need second opinions.  Wouldn't it be better to have the description actually say what the code is supposed to represent?  Or should they match?  See the attached screenshot. 

And to take this a step further, if you have numbered coded values, you would definitely want a description otherwise people wouldn't know what the attributes meant.  Is there a way to create number coded values that have an alias so when people are filling out the attributes upon creation, they can see the description rather than the coded value in the drop down?  If this is possible with an alias, is there really a point to having number coded values in the first place?

Attachments

Outcomes