How are ArcGIS Pro standalone applications supposed to find the required DLLs?

07-26-2018 07:07 AM
JoseManriquez
New Contributor

Does anyone know what the guidelines are for deploying an ArcGIS Pro standalone application?  I specifically would like to know how is the executable supposed to find DLLs:  ArcGIS.Core.dll and ArcGIS.CoreHost.dll.

The machine we're deploying the application to already has ArcGIS Pro installed, so we are NOT delivering those DLLs with the application.  

Are those DLLs supposed to be in the System Path?  We tried this and for some reason it did not work, the Executable threw an exception with a could not load file or assembly error message.

Are they supposed to be registered to the GAC? This worked, but we are wondering if this could have some bad side effects on ArcGis Pro 

Are they supposed to be copied to the executables directory? This worked for us but we're questioning whether this is the ideal solution.

What is the recommended way?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

We just posted a sample that illustrates how to deploy a standalone CoreHost application that resolves the ArcGIS Pro location in order to load the dependent assemblies such as ArcGIS.Core.dll and ArcGIS.CoreHost.dll from the ArcGIS Pro install location.  Except for the dynamic assembly loading logic this sample is identical to the "CoreHostSample".  

Here is the link to the sample: CoreHostResolveAssembly

Thanks

Uma

0 Kudos
JoseManriquez
New Contributor

Hi Uma,

Thank you for providing this example.  I will check it out as soon as I get a chance.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
JoseManriquez
New Contributor

Hi Uma,

I just tested my standalone application following your CoreHostResolveAssembly sample and it worked fine.

Thank you!

0 Kudos