Complex Segmentation using LRS

07-25-2018 10:43 AM
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

I have a linear reference challenge that I'm trying to solve. I have a road layer with an LRS system and I have several tables designed to map different road characteristics. For example, I have a table for shoulders and it has fields for shoulder type and width. Another table is for medians with a field for width and type. Ultimately the different tables produce multiple line layers for each characteristic and they all overlap. Attached you will see a diagram I created that explains my end goal. What I want to produce is a single line layer that is segmented whenever the road characteristic changes between the different road characteristic line layers. My thought is I need to combine all the tables into one table but the From and To fields have duplicates which still create overlapping lines. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using ArcMap for your LRS, then your tables for the road characteristics are "event" tables. There is a GP tool that will union event tables. See the link below for more information:

Overlay Route Events—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

The attached diagram can be referred to as a straight line diagram.  You could produce that a number of different ways.  

One way to produce a straight line diagram like that would be to use data driven pages in arcmap.  Draw a straight line. Make route events along the straight line and offset them.  Trick the data driven pages into looking at the straight line as each route section as desired per page, and refer the events along the route from a percentage of the whole route to a unit percentage of the straight line.  I dont think you need to union the events or combine them to do this.

0 Kudos