Cascade Story map Appearance

Jump to solution
07-24-2018 06:43 AM
JenniferCarter5
New Contributor II

I have a Cascade Story map that seems to display differently on different systems. Some of the pages seem to be cut off on a Mac system? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jennifer -- there is an area 50px tall at the top of the Cascade story that always appears under that black header /title bar. Currently, there's no way to prevent this overlap. To ensure that white area of your image doesn't appear underneath the header you can move it down more toward the center of the image or add space at the top of the image.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jennifer -- Sorry you are seeing differences in your Cascade story on different computers. This is somewhat expected since Cascade stories have a full-window format and screen dimentions, screen resolutions, and browser window aspect ratios can vary from computer to computer. Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing?

If you have a photo that has words or other elements that you do not want to be cropped out you have a few options:

• Use the image in-line in a narrative section as a SMALL or MEDIUM sized image
  • If you are using the image as a background image, either
    • use the focus point to ensure the important part of the photo isn't cropped out, or
    • choose the Do No Crop option

Below are screenshots of these three options. Let me know if these are helpful.

In-line (small)

Immersive background -- use blue focus point to mark the most important part of the image that you do not want cropped out

Immersive background -- use "Do not crop" option

Owen Evans
JenniferCarter5
New Contributor II

Howdy Evan,

Thanks for the reply, the white diagram is cut off on a Mac system. I have reduced the image down and it is perfect on my system with no issues. It is strange because I also have no issues on an android platform tablet.  I will take a look at the info you provided it is much appreciated. 

Have a Great Day!

Page from a Mac system

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jennifer -- there is an area 50px tall at the top of the Cascade story that always appears under that black header /title bar. Currently, there's no way to prevent this overlap. To ensure that white area of your image doesn't appear underneath the header you can move it down more toward the center of the image or add space at the top of the image.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JenniferCarter5
New Contributor II

Thanks Evan, I have made edits and I have someone testing on a Mac for me. I appreciate it very much.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

OK great. Glad the information was helpful. Just to clarify, the differences you see are not related to the operating system (Windows vs Mac) -- it's related to the screen size, resolution, and browser window size of different computers.

It's a good idea to test your story at a variety of window sizes/shapes and devices to make sure things look as expected. You can do this using Chrome developer tools (details here).

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JenniferCarter5
New Contributor II

Good Afternoon Owen,

I have an addition a question, I read your blog about adding a list to a Cascade Story Map and I did that in my project. I am trying to figure out how they created this Map with the table of contents at the top of the Story Map?    https://wadnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=36b4887370d141fcbb35392f996c82d9   If you can assist  that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
JenniferCarter5
New Contributor II

Sorry I just figured out that these are the Bookmarks for the map