Lenovo Tab4 8 with Android 7.1.1 - certificate issues

07-19-2018 04:30 AM
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

We have a client that have an Portal installation and Esri apps for the field work (Survey123, Workforce, Collector)

In short: Survey123 does not log in when using a local certificate authority certificate but works fine when using a public certificate:

1. Client’s GIS and Planning Unit server is back facing and not public facing
  2. Due to the above they require security certificates to allow for communication between the 3 apps we use (Workforce, Survey123 and Collector) and our ArcGIS Portal
  3. Initially they had these deployed on Lenovo Tab4 8’s (Tab 4 8 | A Premium 8” Tablet for the Whole Family | Lenovo South Africa ) which initially had Android 6.6 – The apps ran perfectly
  4. They then did an OS update on the tablets to Android 7.1.1
  5. Unknown to them, Android 7 has new security protocols that do not read user uploaded certificates
  6. This then caused SSL handshake errors between the apps and our portal

Does anyone know how to work around this problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Deon 

Please email me about this: jhasthorpe@esri.com.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

Was this issue figured out? Because our organization is looking into Lenovo as a possibility for replacing some of our Tab A's and we frequently use Collector and Survey 123

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kara

This is not a Lenovo issue - it is a portal certificate issue. So you are fine to proceed. Just ensure that the Android version meets the Survey123 minimum requirements: System requirements—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

Deon, I am leaning toward the Lenovo but want to ensure one thing - can you tell me whether Collector for ArcGIS allowing the connection with the external sd port for additional storage with this device? I'm assuming that there won't be any issues but I want to make certain because the external sd card storage basemaps are important for our projects.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos