Re: Linking to a Specific Point in Tour Map that is Embedded in Series Map

Jump to solution
07-16-2018 01:05 PM
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like to navigate to a particular tab in a Series story map within a Series story map via the URL, if anyone's been able to figure it out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I thought more about the story action route, and I think that will reduce my workload a lot. Instead of another storymap within the tab, I'll put story action links to change the visible layers on the map. While I still can't navigate directly to Governor>Democratic from an external site, this is a much less complex construction. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chelsea -- check out this other thread and this blog post. If you're trying to link to another tab from within the same story, use a story action.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the resources Owen. We love this capability. However, I'm hoping to take it one step further.  I need to have 34 tabs within our storymap. I've done it before using just numbers instead of the text in the tabs, but that's less user friendly, so I was hoping to embed another Series storymap in some of the tabs. Like this:

We have another website with the tabular election results, with links to view each race as a map in the storymap. Normally we just have the one level of story map and can make unique URLs to each race, but now since we have so many races to map, I was hoping to be able to group them and navigate directly to Governor>Dem etc.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I thought more about the story action route, and I think that will reduce my workload a lot. Instead of another storymap within the tab, I'll put story action links to change the visible layers on the map. While I still can't navigate directly to Governor>Democratic from an external site, this is a much less complex construction. Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Chelsea -- YES!! Excellent idea! That sounds like a much cleaner, simpler design that will make the story map much easier to understand and navigate for your readers. You'll also have fewer items to manage.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

It turned out well! Here's the story map: August 2018 Election Results. It's just test data in there for now, and the popup links won't work until the actual election. I also found that editing the JSON via ArcGIS Online Assistant was a valuable time saver when formatting the popups for these 60ish layers.

0 Kudos