Is there a way to "fix" rough edges on heatmap tile layers for online display?

07-16-2018 10:02 AM
BillSchlatter
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently working on a webmap for display using ArcGIS Online, and I've been asked to include a heat map layer based on the data.  There are too many data points for AGO to render the heatmap efficiently, so I'm trying to create a tile layer in ArcGIS Pro to speed up performance (using Sharing -> Share as Web Layer).  It technically works, but there are display errors along the edges of tiles at some zoom levels.  I've attached a few screenshots of examples.  

I understand that this problem is similar to another question from a while back: How do you fix heat map 'tears' after exporting from ArcGIS Pro?  The key difference is that I want a tiled output result for use on a webmap, so workarounds that involve converting to .jpg don't seem to solve the problem.  

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  And has anyone found a way to make this kind of map display correctly? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MoatazKilany
New Contributor II

Hi Bill.

I'm working on a project, have followed the same scenario you've described. I'm facing the same problem with rough edges and ran out of solutions.

Have you found any workaround?

Thank you

0 Kudos
BillSchlatter
Occasional Contributor

Hi Moataz,

Unfortunately, we never found a workaround.  We ultimately decided to drop the heatmap layer from the project.  It's been nearly a year and a half, I'd hoped they would have improved the tiling algorithm to get around this by now.  

0 Kudos
MoatazKilany
New Contributor II

Well, I think will have to find other visualization tools other than heat map, thank you Bill for the reply. Appreciate it.

0 Kudos