AnsweredAssumed Answered

Intersect tool and kilometers of line within a polygon

Question asked by baran.iscen on Jul 14, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 14, 2018 by Dan_Patterson

Hello, 

I am trying to get a measure of border intensity of different regions in Europe. 

Having a relevant shapefile of regions in Europe (NUTS2) as well as several ones of countries by century for a relatively long period, I would like to get the kms of borders within each region, historically.

Therefore I was wondering if there is a way to get this measure with ArcGis Desktop?

I was thinking about using the Intersect tool, after having added the NUTS 2 shapefile and the shapefiles of countries by century (transformed from Polygon to Line). Then, to get the length of lines that intersect each unique region, I would have created a Length field and Calculate Geometry in kms.

Unfortunately this does not work. Some regions appear several times in the Table (with each time a border length in kms assigned) and some results are not consistent (close to border regions with less length of borders assigned than some in the centre)

Thank you,

NB. The first picture simply illustrates the NUTS shapefile and one of countries for a specific century. The second was taken after the use of the Intersect tool.

Outcomes