Need to Match Projections in ArcGIS Pro before Sharing a Basemap - But I am Unable to Project

07-15-2018 11:14 AM
ChristopherMatechik
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a webmap that I can use with Collector using a feature service that was originally created in Survey123 Connect. I imported the layer into ArcGIS pro so I can run some calculations and update the symbology so field crews can easily determine where they need to survey next.

However, when I tried to share the map I received an error that said "00230 Service layer has a different projection than the map's projection"

My feature from Survey123 uses the GCS WGS 1984 projection. If my memory is correct, I didn't specify this, it was automatically created by SUrvey123 Connect when I published the Survey. I have tried various basemaps but they all seem to use the WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere projection.

The obvious solution is to define the projection of one of the layers, but I am unable to do so.

If i try to change the projection on the basemap I receive an error that says:

ERROR 000229: Cannot open World Ocean Reference
 Failed to execute (DefineProjection)

If I try to define the projection of the feature that was originally created in Survey123 Connect I receive and error that says:

ERROR 000146  Cannot alter the spatial reference of https://services1.arcgis.com/nRHtyn3uE1kyzoYc/arcgis/rest/services/service_f6166fdb1d194513b978d3144...

I assume that this might have to do with it being created/used by Survey123, but I'm not sure. Surely, there must be some way to use Survey123 Layers in ArcGIS Pro created webmaps.

The map is useless without the Survey123 layer and a basemap is required to upload a web map. What can I do?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you say 'Define', I trust you aren't using the Define Projection tool, since it should only be used on a featureclass etc that is missing a coordinate system.  If the files have a coordinate system and it differs from the one you need... Project (the tool) is what is needed

0 Kudos
ChristopherMatechik
New Contributor III

Dan, I feel a little foolish. Thank you for correcting me. I have a lot of previous database experience but I am just now getting into ArcGIS so I really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos