'Read more...' expandable/collapsible text

Jump to solution
07-10-2018 02:20 AM
RossMcDonald1
New Contributor

Hi! I have a Map Journal project where I would like to allow a 'read more...' button to to expand additional text for a particular section. Is this possible without having to change the template and self-host it? Could this CSS and HTML functionality be white-listed for use?

ie:

<style>

details {
border: 0px solid #aaa;
border-radius: 4px;
padding: .5em .5em 0;
}

summary {
font-weight: bold;
margin: -.5em -.5em 0;
padding: .5em;
}

details[open] {
padding: .5em;
}

details[open] summary {
border-bottom: 0px solid #aaa;
margin-bottom: .5em;
}

</style>

<div>
<p> A summary with a little bit of text.</p>

<p>
<details>
<summary>Additional details...</summary>Details, with a lot more text.</details>
</p>

</div>

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross -- Thanks for your question about using custom HTML. I don't think we'd whitelist those tags since unfortunately there are some security concerns with them. Additionally, they aren't supported in IE/Edge, so that would not be an ideal user experience for your readers.

We have heard the request to have a small collapsible region in a story map from a few other people, so we can look at possibly providing something like that in the Builder in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross -- Thanks for your question about using custom HTML. I don't think we'd whitelist those tags since unfortunately there are some security concerns with them. Additionally, they aren't supported in IE/Edge, so that would not be an ideal user experience for your readers.

We have heard the request to have a small collapsible region in a story map from a few other people, so we can look at possibly providing something like that in the Builder in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
RossMcDonald1
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thank you for your feedback.

Adding that functionality would certainly be useful. I hope that you do

decide to add it.

Regards,

Ross