How would you do this in Pro? Time-aware raster mosaic...rainfall analysis

07-05-2018 10:28 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

So after the great June flood (seems to happen every June), I have fist fulls of NEXRAD radar data, looking to make some animations. In previous years past, I recall doing this with Raster Catalogs in Arc Map, and it was pretty easy. I'm really trying to drink the Pro Kool Aid, and do it in Pro this year, but I'm not seeing how to automate the "Time" part in the mosaic provisioning. According to Creating a mosaic dataset containing raster data from multiple dates—Help | ArcGIS Desktop I just add a date component, and load the rasters one by one. Not an option here, as when NEXRAD is in precip mode, it generates a raster every 5 minutes, and I have 36 hours worth of rasters. The requirement is to animate each 5-minute raster for the duration of the event. Yes, I'm aware that WCT generates animations, but we want these in Arc so we can add our own layers to the animation, as well as make some symbology changes that "management can understand" and will likely push this out as an image service. Something like this http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=cd7080ff6d1e4170b5a5677f12175a03 (animation is gone....). I think Create a multidimensional mosaic dataset from a set of time series images—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Deskto...  is the direction I want to go but I don't want to waste a day loading rasters then find it doesn't work. Anyone else done raster time series in Pro where you have 100+ rasters?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

So  Create a multidimensional mosaic dataset from a set of time series images—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Deskto... turned out to be easy enough, but to answer this question, as far as I can tell, no, you can't do this in Pro. I ran into two problems: The "Export to Video" tool is missing from the Time Ribbon (and slider) in Pro, and as it turns out you can't access the time property of the data frame (as far as I can tell) https://community.esri.com/thread/217460-does-pro-py-have-a-method-to-access-the-time-property-in-a-... . The time slider and animation performance was far better than in Arc for 100+ rasters, but Pro is somewhat useless if I can't export the results. However, I may not just be finding the right button to export, and it's buried in some right-click context menu. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

No, because with temporal data, you're not creating "keyframes" and "positioning cameras". The bits and pieces that would be considered the "animation" are just the raster (or feature) that changes with time, and in Arc, the Export Movie tool just exports the data frame sequentially and then stitches them together. Never was impressed with that tool, so I prefer to use the python method which allows me to export to a higher quality JPEG then use my favorite Adobe software, or anything really, to stitch them into a movie. Neither workflow appears to be available in Pro. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so basically python then...

Matplotlib animation examples 

might be worth a look.... matplotlib 2.x is already installed with Pro

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

...or Arc Map.

0 Kudos