Calculate Geometry Attributes ArcPro 2.2

06-28-2018 07:52 AM
AileenProfir
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to use the  'Calculate Geometry' tool (selected by right-clicking a field in the attribute table) to calculate XY coordinates for a point and have also tried to calculate square miles for a polygon feature. I am getting a "RuntimeError: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session".  It was my understanding that edit sessions are automatic in ArcPro.  How would I go about starting an edit session?

Thanks for your help,

Aileen

0 Kudos
20 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not seeing that...how did you get to 2.2? Upgrade, or clean install? (Guess what tech support is going to ask you to do....). What is the source of the data, FGDB, SDE, Shapefile, Feature Service, Offline Feature Service in SQLite Mobile Geodatabase? What options do you have set here:

AileenProfir
New Contributor III

Yeah, it was just the standard upgrade to 2.2.  I do have the checkbox for newly added layers editable by default checked off.  It is in SDE, which I thought might be the issue at first, but I can still make all kinds of other edits without an issue (update attributes, move, merge etc.).  This is the error message...

Error Message

Aileen

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is the SDE feature class versioned, are you direct editing against the SDE? If it is versioned, what version are you editing? 

0 Kudos
AileenProfir
New Contributor III

Editing directly to the default SDE...

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Well, belay that. I get the same error on versioned and un-versioned SDE feature classes, and just on calculate geometry. I can make all other field calculations. Another thing I missed during Beta....

Seems like a bug...

0 Kudos
AileenProfir
New Contributor III

Well, I'm glad it's not just my imagination 😃

Thanks!

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'll see if any one else on GN can confirm the behavior, then log a case next week, unless you want to, but do keep the thread posted so TS isn't getting the same call twice. 

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Aileen ProfirThomas Colson‌ what type of enterprise gdb are you using? We've tested in house on SQL Server and Postres, using unversioned feature classes, and it's working here. Thanks

EDIT: Tested Oracle too, and found it working. Any details about the repro steps can get us started on fixing this for the first 2.2 patch. Thanks

AileenProfir
New Contributor III

Probably not what you want to hear...but, we are using SQL Server (2016 version, I think).