Is there a way i can join lines to allow them to stay attached when a connected line is moved?

06-27-2018 01:39 PM
Labels (1)
ClintWoods1
New Contributor II

HelIo all, I am somewhat new to GIS and looking for some guidance. I am looking for a way to be able to keep line features connected when one of them is moved. I have a main gas line that has been drawn in and is connected to hundreds of service lines coming off of it. After going in the field and locating the main line and shooting points, I load those points into ArcMap and then move the drawn main line to the points I shot.  This improves the accuracy of the main line (these lines were all drawn in ArcMap off of old paper maps, so they are not spatially accurate but they are close. Which is why I am now locating the lines and shooting them in.) Once I move the main line to the points I have shot in the field, all of the service lines remain attached to where the main line previously was. They no longer line up and look connected. Is there a way to have the service lines stay connected to the main line so that if the main line moves all of the service lines move with it?  Or the service lines stretch so they stay connected to the meter on one end and the main line on the other? I am having to go back and connected every service line manually one at a time. If there was a way they could be joined to allow them to stay connected when a main line is moved that would save me tons of tedious work hours. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
deleted-user-FrOR7qrGn6Op
New Contributor III

Your data will need to be in a geodatabase and have a geometric network built that includes the mains, services, and meters, plus whatever else you'd like to be connected to the lines such as fittings.