Arcpy: List all layers in MXD and then make a note of whether is it broken or not

06-27-2018 12:39 PM
MelanieRosenberg2
Occasional Contributor II

I have a script that lists all layers in an MXD and I have a script that lists all broken layers in an MXD. I want to list all layers, their name, source, description, and whether or not their source is broken. Can anyone help me with this?

import arcpy, os, fnmatch, csv 

#Create an empty list of ArcMap documents to process...
mxd_list=["A.mxd", "B.mxd", "C.mxd"]

for mxd in mxd_list:
 mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(mxd)
 mapPath = mxd.filePath 
 fileName = os.path.basename(mapPath)
 layers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd) 
 filepath = "C:/Users/USERNAME/Desktop/"+ fileName[:-4]+".csv" 
 writer = csv.writer(file(filepath, 'wb')) 
 sourcelist = [] 

for layer in layers: 
    if layer.supports("dataSource"): 
       layerattributes = [layer.longName, layer.dataSource]
       #Write the attributes to the csv file...
       writer.writerow(layerattributes) 
    writer.writerow(sourcelist) 
    del writer 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelanieRosenberg2
Occasional Contributor II

I figured out an easy fix: I create an array of the broken layers, then check to see if the layers in the MXD are in that array. I instruct my output to write a "yes" or "No" to determine if the layer is broken.

#Import necessary librariesimport arcpy, os, fnmatch, csv  #Create an empty list of ArcMap documents to process. mxd_list=[r"\\...\XYZ.mxd","//computer/d$/ABC.mxd"]#Initiate a for loop to run through each MXD in the listfor mxd in mxd_list:    #Define the MXD    mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(mxd)     #Get the file path from the MXD    mapPath = mxd.filePath        #Get the name of the MXD from the full path    fileName = os.path.basename(mapPath)     #Get a list of all layers in the given MXD    layers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd)        #Define the output file path. Here the file is being saved to the desktop with the same name as the MXD. Change the file path to an accessible location.    filepath = "C:/Users/USERNAME/Desktop/"+ fileName[:-4]+".csv"        #Define the file to be written as a CSV.    writer = csv.writer(file(filepath, 'wb'))        #Identify all broken layers in the MXD    brknList = arcpy.mapping.ListBrokenDataSources(mxd)     #Initiate a for loop to run through each layer within the MXD    for layer in layers:           #Check to see if the layer supports the attribute "dataSource". Not all layers support this stored metadata value.         if layer.supports("dataSource"):          #Determine if the layer is broken or not by comparing it to the list of broken layers             if layer in brknList:                broken = "Yes"            else:                broken = "No"             #Compile a list of layer attributes. This list can be modified based on the defined properties of the layer class in arcpy (http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/analyze/arcpy-mapping/layer-class.htm).            layerattributes = [layer.longName, layer.dataSource, broken]             #Write the attributes to the csv file.            writer.writerow(layerattributes)        #Delete variables that will be recycled in the loop    del writer 
AntonioMoniz
New Contributor III
Hello
I found this very useful for me!
However, I would like to know if it would be possible to apply this to multiple MXDs. Like, specify a folder with several mxd and return all layers of each of these mxd.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
#Create an empty list of ArcMap documents to process...
mxd_list=[ ]

directory = r'#your filespace to find mxds in#'

for root, dirs, files in os.walk(directory):
    for file in files:
        if ".mxd" in file:
            mxd_path = os.path.join(root, file)
            mxd_list.append(mxd_path)

AntonioMoniz
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos