AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combine 2 datasets (with attachments) in Collector App (and edit in excel)

Question asked by tredwell on Jun 27, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 by tredwell

Hello and thanks in advance for your help!

I am doing a study on irrigation assets, collecting data using ArcCollector. This includes attachments (photographs of each irrigation asset). After collecting around 1000 records I realised that I needed to change some of my fields to better address the needs of the audit.

Out of fear of messing with my original 1000 records, I copied my feature class [IrrigationPoints] and made the required changes to the new, copied feature class [IrrigationPoints_1].

The changes were:

• changed the site ID from integer to text
  • added more options sprinkler types
  • added a new field to capture defects
  • added a new comment field

I needed to desktop-edit my original data [IrrigationPoints] to include the new sprinkler types, defects field and comments field (which weren't included in the ArcCollector App while I was in the field). I have done so by exporting and editing in excel (as there were so many entries to change at once). 

So now I have collected data on the other 1000 assets in the new feature class [IrrigationPoints_1].

Do you have any ideas on the best process to combine these two data sets into one? I was hoping that I could use the append tool in ArcGIS Online, but have become aware that this won't take the corresponding attachments. And now that I have my original 1000 data entries in excel I think I have complicated things.   

I think this is the way forward (see below) but would love some advice as I am a novice and not usually very efficient with my processes (as you can probably tell from my process above). 

1. Export the original data [IrrigationPoints] to a geodatabase (to include attachment table) 
  2. Join the attachment table with my data table which I editted in excel
  3. Create this into a new feature class (and display X Y coordinates)
  4. Publish this feature class into to ArcGIS Online 

Now I will have 2 hosted feature classes in ArcGIS Online. All with the correct data values. 

5. Append the first data set with the second data set

6. I am still not sure how I will make sure the attachments come with it!?

Thank you all on this community!!

Outcomes