Tool to create grid with referenced points

06-21-2018 02:29 PM
AaronFakename
New Contributor

Hello,

Pardon me if I don't describe my question with correct terminology, I'm still quite new at GIS work.

I'll describe what I'm trying to accomplish and then hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to get started.

I'm looking to create a grid (I think a grid) over some polygons that represent the borders of agricultural fields. The grid should place a point at 1 acre spacing across the field. Then in the field, personnel will navigate to those points to collect a sample.

The picture I've attached demonstrates rougly what I'm going for. With the red dots in the field being the collection points. Now, not all the fields will be perfect rectangles. Is what I'm hoping to accomplish possible in ArcGIS Pro? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

quick and dirty solution.

do a negative buffer of your fields by some offset distance that is appropriate for your fields (ie 30 m or 100 ft)

convert he buffer to points

That would be perfect if your buffers are rectangular.

You can also do this using the Fishnet tool... converting to points and removing duplicates... or just use an appropriate fishnet size and use the label points.

I wrote Point tools for Pro … mesh points option

but if you want a fancy offset from the border... sorry, that has a low market appeal

0 Kudos
AaronFakename
New Contributor

Thanks Dan,

The buffer and fishnet tools seem like they would work well for rectangular areas. However many of the areas I'm working with are irregular, like in the attached pic.

Lets say that the above area encompasses 100 acres. Ideally I can create 100 different sampling points evenly (as much as possibled) spaced within the above polygons. Perhaps this could be accomplished by converting the polygons to raster datasets and then using the center of the raster cells as my sampling locations?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

or just create a fishnet over the area (like a raster cell), and get the label points for the ones you want to keep... a little bit manual, but if you are looking for the one-button-solves-all solution, it may take more time to find it or write it than to put some quasi-automation-human-selection into it

0 Kudos